Search the forum,

Discuss require suitable fitting lead to plastic soil pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

need to go from 3.5" lead soil pipe to 110mm plastic soil pipe

Remove the lead back to the cast spigot then you can use a mcalpine dc1

Few pics if anyoneā€™s interested.
873F5F06-CCBA-461C-B625-A44528283F68.jpeg
A5D7CFC3-1F75-4740-BDBE-F31AAF56ED1C.jpeg
149D1BDE-3631-4C78-BD43-FB13E4D7E419.jpeg
D186C091-8A84-4508-898F-477E9DC1B8A9.jpeg

I have my floors torn up and need to do something similar to what you have in these pics. What is that sleeve sticking out of the cast iron hub? Is that what is used to connect the lead pipe to the hub, with the lead soldered on?

I can't get a torch in the space, it's too tight and I'm nervous. Can I use a no hub coupling on that sleeve to connect to PVC?

I have my floors torn up and need to do something similar to what you have in these pics. What is that sleeve sticking out of the cast iron hub? Is that what is used to connect the lead pipe to the hub, with the lead soldered on?

I can't get a torch in the space, it's too tight and I'm nervous. Can I use a no hub coupling on that sleeve to connect to PVC?
Yes, the lead was connected to the ā€œsleeveā€.

Iā€™m guessing from your ā€œno hubā€ terminology, youā€™re in the states? Iā€™m not sure on your local code/regs to confirm if you can.

Youā€™ll likely find that the ā€œsleeveā€ is smaller in diameter and when using a no hub, anything (toilet paper etc) travelling down the pipe will likely get caught on the lip.

Got any pics?

Yes, the lead was connected to the ā€œsleeveā€.

Iā€™m guessing from your ā€œno hubā€ terminology, youā€™re in the states? Iā€™m not sure on your local code/regs to confirm if you can.

Youā€™ll likely find that the ā€œsleeveā€ is smaller in diameter and when using a no hub, anything (toilet paper etc) travelling down the pipe will likely get caught on the lip.

Got any pics?
Thanks for getting back to me!

Yes, I'm in upstate New York. The code here allows rubber fittings to transition materials. I can't post a link to them, but search 'Fernco no hub coupling'.

My intention is to take out the old lead pipe and reroute it with PVC. There are currently two other pipes coming into the toilet drain (shower and sink). The plan is to cut the lead pipes (green in pic below), connect a Wye fitting close to the cast iron hub (red arrow in pic below). The 'sleeve' I'm referring to looks to be the blue area in the pic.

The second pic shows the planned route of the PVC (yellow), through the floor joist).

Definitely feeling like I bit off more than I can chew - wasn't anticipating the joists to be in the way!

IMG_3572.jpg
IMG_3572 (1).jpg

Thanks for getting back to me!

Yes, I'm in upstate New York. The code here allows rubber fittings to transition materials. I can't post a link to them, but search 'Fernco no hub coupling'.

My intention is to take out the old lead pipe and reroute it with PVC. There are currently two other pipes coming into the toilet drain (shower and sink). The plan is to cut the lead pipes (green in pic below), connect a Wye fitting close to the cast iron hub (red arrow in pic below). The 'sleeve' I'm referring to looks to be the blue area in the pic.

The second pic shows the planned route of the PVC (yellow), through the floor joist).

Definitely feeling like I bit off more than I can chew - wasn't anticipating the joists to be in the way!

View attachment 83875View attachment 83876
Your plan in current or similar form should work.

I am concerned about your plan to route it out of the wye and south through the joist.

What size through the joist? Holes can only be so large and must be a certain distance from the end. Check your code, but 4ā€ for a toilet wonā€™t go through that joist.

Your plan in current or similar form should work.

I am concerned about your plan to route it out of the wye and south through the joist.

What size through the joist? Holes can only be so large and must be a certain distance from the end. Check your code, but 4ā€ for a toilet wonā€™t go through that joist.
Agreed. I didn't think I'd be able to move the pipes due to the joists. They are true 2" X 6", so little more meat to them, but still not a lot. I came across these straps that are supposed to be able to patch up the joist after I drill the hole (see pic below). I can't link directly to it, but you can search "NOLAN STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS Joist Repair Kit - 24" Strap"
joist_strap_sq.jpg
I am stepping down to 3" PVC - the hole would be about 4 1/8". I spoke with the engineer who designed the straps and he advised using two of them on the cut joist. What do you think?

My other question is about typing into the cast iron. The brass ferrule coming out of the cast iron hub looks to be about 4.25". Do you think I can use a coupler like Fernco 1056-43 to transition to 3" PVC? I would use a similar, but smaller coupler to connect to the smaller lead pipe at the top of the pic in my post above. Do you think the rubber would create a seal on the lead, or should I use a sealer (like silicone) on the joint between the rubber and the lead?

Agreed. I didn't think I'd be able to move the pipes due to the joists. They are true 2" X 6", so little more meat to them, but still not a lot. I came across these straps that are supposed to be able to patch up the joist after I drill the hole (see pic below). I can't link directly to it, but you can search "NOLAN STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS Joist Repair Kit - 24" Strap"
I am stepping down to 3" PVC - the hole would be about 4 1/8". I spoke with the engineer who designed the straps and he advised using two of them on the cut joist. What do you think?

My other question is about typing into the cast iron. The brass ferrule coming out of the cast iron hub looks to be about 4.25". Do you think I can use a coupler like Fernco 1056-43 to transition to 3" PVC? I would use a similar, but smaller coupler to connect to the smaller lead pipe at the top of the pic in my post above. Do you think the rubber would create a seal on the lead, or should I use a sealer (like silicone) on the joint between the rubber and the lead?
I would cut the lead back to the brass ferrule (piece connecting lead pipe to the cast socket). Then using a torch, melt the lead off of the ferrule to provide a smooth, uniform surface for a no hub connection. You can get them as reducers. I burn the lead off before purchasing to confirm size.

I wouldnā€™t be comfortable using the strap but looking at the website, it says it designed for it. Iā€™d rather have plate steel either side.

It says you need a minimum of 2ā€ of joist remaining above the strap. Thatā€™s not comfortable for me, 3ā€ I might feel ok.

4.25ā€ hole, leaving 1.75ā€, no way. Recommending 2?!? Doesnā€™t sound legit. If youā€™re going 3ā€ pipe, be accurate and make the hole 3.25ā€.

Reply to require suitable fitting lead to plastic soil pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but donā€™t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock