Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing convetional with combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

R

Richard Hallam

Im replacing my conventional (vented) boiler for a combi.

My boiler is downstairs in a utility room, upstairs in my airing cupboard the flow from the old boiler runs through the pump then into the 3 port valve, then either to the cylinder or off round the rads (no by-pass).

On removing the cylinder (pump, valve loft tanks etc) Im left with the return to boiler pipe from the cylinder (this joins the heating return somewhere unknown) and the old hot domestic to taps pipe. Can I simply cap both of these off in my airing cupboard (creating dead legs in both the heating and domestic hot )? These dead legs will both be under 5m, I want to avoid pulling up floorboards if possible.

If I do need to remove these dead legs, are there any best guesses as to where to start pulling up the floor boards?

Any help appreciated. Thank you

Don't change. (Can't see the end of your sentence)
Sorry, posted in error. I appreciate the cons (and pros) of changing to a combi as well the problems that can occur from changing from a vented to a pressurised system, nevertheless after considerable thought the decision to change has been made (I am happy to pull up my floor boards if need be). My post here is really only to get advice on the plumbing. Sorry to be blunt, but these posts are not helpful.

[QUOTE="Richard Hallam, post: 1002498, member: [/QUOTE]
OK, no problem, I was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure you looked into it before deciding. Just my opinion, partly based on a friend who runs a gas co and wouldn't have a combi in his house at any price. Don't know if he installs combis, but he definitely gets plenty of work from repairing them.

[QUOTE="Richard Hallam, post: 1002498, member:
OK, no problem, I was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure you looked into it before deciding. Just my opinion, partly based on a friend who runs a gas co and wouldn't have a combi in his house at any price. Don't know if he installs combis, but he definitely gets plenty of work from repairing them.[/QUOTE]
I can relate to that, my old glow worm space saver is as old as the house (30+ years), I know people who have had 3 boilers in the same period. Im only changing it as the flue is corroding (and of course its in-efficiency). My new baxi does come with a 10yr warranty - some piece of mind?

You can cap them but best to remove the dead legs esp the hot water one

Reply to Replacing convetional with combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

What pipework changes are needed to replace a conventional open vented gravity boiler to a combi boiler ? Would toilet flush/cisterns need replacing ?
Replies
Views
K
My conventional boiler needs to be replaced. One engineer suggested combi with an external pump because water pressure in my flat is low, the other said there's no need for a pump. He even said that if the pump would have a detrimental effect on the boiler. Who is right?
Replies
Views
Hi I seek some advice on replacing an existing regular boiler. I currently have an old Potterton 10-16 Netaheat electronic, which is around 35 years old and still working OK. It is fitted to a std 'Y' plan system with boiler in utility room and separate hot water tank, pump, valve etc in...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Hello The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed. It's been a hugely reliable boiler up until now with regular servicing. When the heating is turned on the boiler ignites and looks to start up but then a few seconds in, knocking sounds...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock