Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing old regular boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I seek some advice on replacing an existing regular boiler.

I currently have an old Potterton 10-16 Netaheat electronic, which is around 35 years old and still working OK. It is fitted to a std 'Y' plan system with boiler in utility room and separate hot water tank, pump, valve etc in upstairs airing cupboard.

I would just like to do a direct replacement with another regular boiler such as a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15Ri.

However, I find that any new boiler requires the pump to be directly connected to the boiler to allow for the pump overrun ability.

Consequently, as I have been advised, this will require getting wire(s) form the boiler to the pump in the airing cupboard. Unfortunately there does not appear to be any spare wires available and whilst not impossible getting wires form the utility room to the airing cupboard would be extremely difficult, unless some of the existing wiring can be re-configured, which I doubt.

So what is/are the solutions?

I understand that there are Mainslink pro's or similar, that can allow one to remotely connect the boiler and pump together, are they any good and a possible solution, or can I use a system boiler such as the Worcester Bosch 4000 15Kw with a vented hot water tank and if so what would this entail?

The pump would then be integrated with the boiler, but can I retain the existing expansion tank in the loft or do you have to use the one in the boiler?

Does it also require that you have the boiler supplied with a separate mains fed water supply or can it be fed from the cold water tank in the loft?

Would appreciate some advise/suggestions.

Thanks

Go for one with a stainless heat exchanger then you don’t need a pump overrun or you might have a spare wire / core that you can use etc

Thanks for the replies. At this moment in time I would like to retain the existing system set up and part locations and just replace the boiler and maintain the vented tank, hence my questions relating to that.

You have referred to one with a st/st heat exchanger? I thought that all heat exchangers are st/st? Unfortunately, as indicated there does not appear to be any spare wires that can be used, unless one or more of the existing wires can be reconfigured, which is something I am not able to identify.

So are Mainslinks or similar a possibility or can I use a system boiler as a direct replacement?

Thanks for the replies. At this moment in time I would like to retain the existing system set up and part locations and just replace the boiler and maintain the vented tank, hence my questions relating to that.

You have referred to one with a st/st heat exchanger? I thought that all heat exchangers are st/st? Unfortunately, as indicated there does not appear to be any spare wires that can be used, unless one or more of the existing wires can be reconfigured, which is something I am not able to identify.

So are Mainslinks or similar a possibility or can I use a system boiler as a direct replacement?

Alum heat exchangers require a pump overrun to save stress on the alu castings

Stainless doesn’t suffer from this / not required

You could run a timer relay eg when switch live is lost it runs the pump for 5 mins etc you wouldn’t need anything but a timerdelay relay and an enclosure if you wanted a alum hex eg Worcester etc

Thanks for reply.

Understand, thought that all heat exchanges were st/st, clearly not and I assume WB ones are not, hence the pump overrun requirement? I understand that some of the Baxi boilers don't need POR so they must be st/st?

I see that Salus do an affordable GGPC1 RF pump switch, which may be the simplest option, cant attaché link.

Would prefer to go the WB route but I guess a lot depends on what they allow to maintain the guarantee but from what I have seen there does not seem to be any spare wires available.

I suspect your issue would be the guarantee also would avoid salus they don’t have the best signal strength

There must be many installations that are in my position where laying extra wiring to accommodate the requirement of pump overrun is not possible/practicable so what are the formal solutions? Thanks for the advice on the Salus, what is a better alternative?

Reply to Replacing old regular boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock