Discuss Replacement Radiator Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

C

Callum

Hi, I am looking for some help with a problematic radiator and have no experience with heating systems. I have a bit of time pressure as we have a new carpet being fitted in a few weeks and a sofa arriving the following week and have uncovered this radiator issue whilst redecorating the room.

The radiator is 450x1600 and when turned on is piping hot at the top and freezing cold at the bottom. The valve on the right hand side is scalding hot and the pipe on the left hand side is cold. There was previously a sofa in front of this radiator and we rarely used the room which is the reason we did not realise the radiator was not working properly.

We have had two heating engineers out to look at the radiator and system and they have suggested that there could be a blockage in the radiator or the pipe-work and it would be a case of trial and error to resolve this so we are keen to replace the radiator in the first instance to confirm if the issue is with the radiator. Obviously if the issue persists then we may just have to live with the problem as it is because we are not in a position to have the floor/walls opened up to replace pipe-work.

Another engineer stated that the boiler (which is about 3 years old and was installed just before we moved in by the previous owners) is not strong enough to service the radiators in the house and the only way the issue would be fully resolved is to replace the boiler. We are keen to avoid this due to cost and the fact that this is the only radiator we are having issues with.

I am looking for advice on the situation and specifically what radiator to buy including valves. If we are going to have to live with a radiator with limited output, is there a specific type of radiator that would make the most of a bad situation to generate as much heat as possible in the room?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Radiator Images.PNG

Hi
Looks like a 90’s install. Those pipes drop from above in the wall. They are prone to blocking with sludge. The blockage can be in the pipe, valve, radiator, the elbows that connect to the valve, or where the pipes connect into the heating mains ( usually found under the floor on the first floor)
As it’s microbore, it’s difficult to flush out. Sometimes a power flush will sort it. But normally it’s a case of disconnecting the pipework from above and from the valve and clearinghouse it with mains water, or air pressure.
Changing the radiator wont cure it.
Get in touch with a company with experience with microbore.
I would also bet that your boiler is fine.

Reply to Replacement Radiator Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back