Search the forum,

Discuss removing water from pipes with a wet vac in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

im of understanding that lots of you use wet vacs to remove the last bits of water from pipe work after draining a system, in order to carry out soldering or any other jobs without any issues from residual water remaining in the system.

Ive not used a wet vac before but I think one might come in handy to carry out this task when I renovate a couple of bathrooms in my house soon.

The question I have is do you need to have a tight seal between the vacum pipe and the copper pipe that that you intend to suck the water out of?

Im guessing the end of the vacuum tub must be significantly bigger than the outside diameter of the 15 or 10mm copper pipe so Im wondering how you achieve enough suction to remove the water…. do you need improvise some kind of seal to get a good seal the gap between the differing pipe sizes?

Or do wet vacs come with adapters to fit varying copper pipe sizes?

Thanks in advance for the replies

+1 for the hand. I just put the end of the vac over the pipe I want to empty and seal the gaps with my hand wrapped around it. It doesn't make a perfect seal but more than good enough to pull the water out the pipework.

i use a piece of silicon tube and a tray :D

Get one you won't regret it. If you can have two open ends on a pipe run makes it easier for clearing pipework. Its got me out of trouble lots of times, just use your hand to create the seal around pipe and nozzle.

Reply to removing water from pipes with a wet vac in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator pipes during the strip out. Not the end of the world as damages happens. I am responsible builder and paying my bills and to repair the damages if...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock