Search the forum,

Discuss removing water from pipes with a wet vac in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

im of understanding that lots of you use wet vacs to remove the last bits of water from pipe work after draining a system, in order to carry out soldering or any other jobs without any issues from residual water remaining in the system.

Ive not used a wet vac before but I think one might come in handy to carry out this task when I renovate a couple of bathrooms in my house soon.

The question I have is do you need to have a tight seal between the vacum pipe and the copper pipe that that you intend to suck the water out of?

Im guessing the end of the vacuum tub must be significantly bigger than the outside diameter of the 15 or 10mm copper pipe so Im wondering how you achieve enough suction to remove the water…. do you need improvise some kind of seal to get a good seal the gap between the differing pipe sizes?

Or do wet vacs come with adapters to fit varying copper pipe sizes?

Thanks in advance for the replies

+1 for the hand. I just put the end of the vac over the pipe I want to empty and seal the gaps with my hand wrapped around it. It doesn't make a perfect seal but more than good enough to pull the water out the pipework.

i use a piece of silicon tube and a tray :D

Get one you won't regret it. If you can have two open ends on a pipe run makes it easier for clearing pipework. Its got me out of trouble lots of times, just use your hand to create the seal around pipe and nozzle.

Reply to removing water from pipes with a wet vac in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock