Discuss Removing centre of stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Essex Mark

Im a new plumber and have a question for you, I now and again have to ease/adjust 15mm stopcocks as they have ceased, I usually just renew the centre tap part of the stopcock as it is easier, my method is to clamp the body of the stopcock with stilsons and use large adjustable spanner to remove the head, this is an easy method (if you have another centre part to fit) BUT my problem is how do you change the centre part of the stopcock when it is housed A) tightly under a sink B) bottom of a cupboard in the corner when you just cant get your Stilsons or sanner in the right position. Is there a box spanner available that will fit stopcock heads ???? can anyone help. thanks

get my grips on them and give them a little more pressure than i can with my hand but no more as it can end in tears... that ususaly works.

generally when a stopcock is too tight to turn you only need to loosen the packing gland nut (the nut which the spindle goes thro into the valve) loosen the nut right out, you only get a drip of water if any, roll some ptfe tape into string or use loctite 55 and pack it into the space round the spindle, then push the nut back in and tighten it enough to still be able to turn the valve but tight enough not to leak, think i have only changed a handful of valves in my time, they dont need changed too often

generally when a stopcock is too tight to turn you only need to loosen the packing gland nut (the nut which the spindle goes thro into the valve) loosen the nut right out, you only get a drip of water if any, roll some ptfe tape into string or use loctite 55 and pack it into the space round the spindle, then push the nut back in and tighten it enough to still be able to turn the valve but tight enough not to leak, think i have only changed a handful of valves in my time, they dont need changed too often
Stuffing box! Its been a long time since I stuffed a box.

It's horrible when they're inaccessible and seized up.

Had one recently where the external stopcock had collapsed. The owner of the house had wanted to repair a tap had screwed the stopcock off so hard he snapped it off. It was impossible to get to and work on safely (without a chance of flooding the house).

So their water was switched off and their was no way to turn it back on. I didn't want to risk freezing a main and chopping in a new valve, so I bypassed the supply by using a self cutting washing machine valve and linked it in.

Their external stopcock was repaired a few days later and I went back and repaired it properly. I was patting myself on the back about that one for days!!!

The client is an ex bomb disposal expert with an OBE for his services in the Gulf war, would have thought he'd not be so heavy handed!

They're a mates parents. His old man earnt the OBE disposing of bombs and teaching the young guys how to do it. He apparently also built bombs so I think the good karma might be evened out by the bad karma! Wouldn't want to upset him, could start the van and booom!! ;)

I never charge em my usual rates, as they're regular clients, plus I have a total respect for him and for the job he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing centre of stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock