Search the forum,

Discuss Remote water valve mechanism in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I recently have had a water softener installed in my property. Due to the house being a new build the engineer wasn't able to install a hard water tap in our kitchen (without the undertaking of huge, costly works).

In the cupboard, there is a water valve that can be turned to switch the whole house's water supply from soft water to hard water (bypassing the water softener unit). The cupboard is a bit of a pain to get into and the valve is right up the back of it.

However, I was wondering if anyone knows a solution of getting a mechanical/remote controlled valve, so that I could simply flick a switch in the kitchen and the valve would change in the cupboard?

I have looked up possible solutions, but I am not a plumber, so not sure if I am finding the right things or not - which I don't seem to be finding. Basically, I see it as replacing the mentioned valve with a mechanical valve and then some sort of remote (not wired) switch to flick. If it has to be wired, then I would do that too as that would just be a case of running trunking around the rooms until it arrives at the valve.

Please do let me know if you know of any solutions to this. I am happy to share pictures of the valve too, for an easier understanding.

Get the plumber back to rectify it as it contravenes water regs by not having one unsoftened outlet in the property. It’s jot your problem it’s theres. I don’t understand why because it’s a new build they can’t remedy it. It’s a waste of water too as you will have to draw off what is in the pipe to get unsoftened water which again contravenes water regs

Hi Riley, sorry I didn't explain well enough. He did install a hard water tap in the same cupboard, so that the regulations were followed. Just there isn't one in the kitchen and I would like to be able to flick the stopcock/valve (which ever one it is) at the switch of a button so that it bypasses the water softerner unit.

Get the plumber back to rectify it as it contravenes water regs by not having one unsoftened outlet in the property. It’s jot your problem it’s theres. I don’t understand why because it’s a new build they can’t remedy it. It’s a waste of water too as you will have to draw off what is in the pipe to get unsoftened water which again contravenes water regs
Unless the customer decided he wanted a softener, later on down the line :cool:

Still lazy engineering and still contravenes water regs by wasting water

Yep get ya mr moderator:D, my point is/was .... it may have not been the plumbers fault and he’s certainly said it’s possible, but it’d cost lots to rip up boards/walls etc. So the ball is in the customers court and he’s now looking at this remote valve, which is a completely stupid idea and needs a new pipe installing.

Yep get ya mr moderator:D, my point is/was .. it may have not been the plumbers fault and he’s certainly said it’s possible, but it’d cost lots to rip up boards/walls etc. So the ball is in the customers court and he’s now looking at this remote valve, which is a completely stupid idea and needs a new pipe installing.
Ha ha I’m not throwing my toys out. My point is the plumber should have known the rules and done it properly and insisted that it’s done correctly or not at all

Yep get ya mr moderator:D, my point is/was .. it may have not been the plumbers fault and he’s certainly said it’s possible, but it’d cost lots to rip up boards/walls etc. So the ball is in the customers court and he’s now looking at this remote valve, which is a completely stupid idea and needs a new pipe installing.
So it is a "stupid idea" to do it remotely? Just better to get an engineer to come out and install new piping throughout?

As I understand that would require a whole lot of plastering as you've mentioned.

Just want to get an idea of what the best course of action is to take on this.

So it is a "stupid idea" to do it remotely? Just better to get an engineer to come out and install new piping throughout?

As I understand that would require a whole lot of plastering as you've mentioned.

Just want to get an idea of what the best course of action is to take on this.

New pipe ...definitely

Well as I’ve said it contravenes water regs based on water wastage. I’m not saying your idea is stupid it’s just wrong.

How far apart is the softener and the kitchen sink?

Reply to Remote water valve mechanism in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock