Discuss reliability of combis in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still haven't replaced our WB Heatslave 3.5, partly because of ongoing other works, but also still undecided about the best product/manufacturer. BG serviced it this week and the service engineer said that WB are good but Vaillant put a bit more thought into the design. I asked about Viessman and he said they are ok but the boards fail, then it gets pricey and spares can take a while.

I was speaking to someone today with an engineering background, they have a smallish 30yr old Ideal (I think), their engineer said he only needs to see it every 2yrs as there is so little to go wrong. She has done a fair bit of research and is putting off getting a new combi as so many people have told her that the printed circuit boards fail after 5 yrs.
Also the modern heat exchangers are alu and not as long lived as cast iron.

Is this generally the case then as if so it seems like a good repair protection scheme would be essential and that partly defeats the object of upgrading to a more efficient boiler?

New boilers will always break down more than the older cast iron heat exchanger ones as there is more to go wrong.The old boilers much less parts that could need attending to, one of which was normally replaced as a matter of course at an annual service.
New boilers are controlled by electronics and have dozens of parts that can and do need repaired.

Cheaper running costs verses higher maintenance and repair costs and shorter lifespan.
Such is the price of progress.

Any 30 year old boiler will be far more reliable than a new equivalent as they are literally a lump of iron and a gas valve. That said, they use a lot more gas as well as a few other potential cons.

I wouldn't be given a Worcester Bosch. Plastic has no place in a heating appliance.

Vaillant are my boiler of choice, although if I had a local supplier, I would try fitting Intergas. They have 2 full bore copper heat exchangers and only 4 moving parts. Far less to go wrong, and less likely to block up. Diverter valves are the most common part I replace on boilers, so to not have one is a huge bonus in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to reliability of combis in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock