Discuss reducing my gas consumption in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klove

HI. I'm finding my gas consumption on the central heating system really high at the moment. I have a combi boiler and I'm pretty sure that the plate heat exchanger needs descaling/replacing and it's due a service. If I get these two things done will this make much of a difference to my consumption?

A service is always recommended as this will ensure your boiler is running at peak efficiency, you may want to consider what controls you have on your system which will help you get the most from your heating at the lowest possible cost e.g. TRVs on the radiators and a programmable room thermostat if you don't have these already. These will allow you to control the heat output of the boiler room by room rather than it running at full belt all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
A service is always recommended as this will ensure your boiler is running at peak efficiency, you may want to consider what controls you have on your system which will help you get the most from your heating at the lowest possible cost e.g. TRVs on the radiators and a programmable room thermostat if you don't have these already. These will allow you to control the heat output of the boiler room by room rather than it running at full belt all the time.
Thank you. I do have these on the radiators already and only heat a few of the rooms but I'm finding that my consumtion has gone up by 46% on the same time last year.

Definately consumption and not price of gas?

Have you spoken to you energy supplier to find out if your tarrif has changed or how much they have increased their prices.

This time last year we'd had a few weeks of heat wave! Are you sure you're not now using the heating or hot water more? Have you got any dripping hot taps?

Turn it off or turn it down. If you use it you have to pay for it!

What's the insulation like in your property, do you have a room thermostat? if you do what do you have it set too. Is it operating correctly? Lots of things to look at but you need to know what you are looking at.

been along winter + prices have gone up. if it makes u sleep any better at night ur helping line some fat cats bonus at the gas suppliers... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to reducing my gas consumption in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
Hey folks, I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to set up my hot water and central heating systems. Got a gas boiler with a pressure tank and a motor...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock