Search the forum,

Discuss Recommendations for plug to avoid need to drain down storage tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The isolating valve on the tank outlet is sized so I'm looking for a tool or technique for plugging the tank outlet so the valve can be changed. I can feel that the bore of the fitting to be plugged is not smooth, appears to have 2 ridges!

Advice and suggestions, please

As Last says, syphon it - you don’t want 50 gallons coming at you all in a rush when something goes wrong!

The easiest way is to place a hosepipe in the tank and then go to outside or a toilet or a bath, suck on the hose to start the syphoning and then hold the end where it can go safely to waste.

1. If you are talking about the cold water storage cistern, as I think you are, then you have three options:
1a. Shut off the inlet valve and drain it.
1b. Use a bung such as Toolstation 31768. It should seal even against the internal splines used to secure the outlet fitting. Best to have someone in the loft to shove it back in again if it shows signs of moving. Otherwise you will have a flood.
1c. Freeze the pipe.
2. If you are talking about the hot water cylinder, then as others have suggested above. Don't forget you will have to isolate the cold water storage cistern to drain the hot water cylinder, so may have to do what is in 1. above anyway, unless there is a working isolation / gate valve on the cold inlet to the hot water cylinder.

Reply to Recommendations for plug to avoid need to drain down storage tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I have a main drain that is plugged up in my apartment complex I rented a snake got it unplugged then flushed toilet paper down the toilet then it plugged right back up (I have the man hole cover off out on sidewalk ) anyway so I snake again I can feel the end of snake hitting something about...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom, initially thought it was the toilet, but after smelling the bath tub plug hole it appears to be coming from here. I removed the P trap and very little...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a leaking drain valve off the CW inlet on a Range Cylinder. Am I right in thinking I have to empty the Cylinder below the CW inlet to change the valve? To isolate cold water to the tank to prevent refill, should I just lock off the 1 stop CW inlet or all 3 red stops? Turn mains...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock