Discuss Recognize this cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

winfiem

Gentlemen,

We've moved into a house with an ageing (and inefficient) central heating system. Early investigations quickly turned up this little 100 mm high copper cylinder on the hot flow from the boiler. It is placed just below the upstairs ceiling, and connected immediately before the cold water make-up inlet. Next thing connected downstream is the pump.

2012-10-27 16.51.41 cylinder 1.jpg <== here it is wih the boiler, and here's a close-up ==>2012-10-27 16.51.58 cylinder 2.jpg

I can't work out whether it is vital, redundant, a trouble-maker, or something in between! In particular, is it affecting the heating system efficiency? Can anyone identify it for me, please, and / or advise on its value?

Thanks in anticipation, Mark

Gentlemen,

We've moved into a house with an ageing (and inefficient) central heating system. Early investigations quickly turned up this little 100 mm high copper cylinder on the hot flow from the boiler. It is placed just below the upstairs ceiling, and connected immediately before the cold water make-up inlet. Next thing connected downstream is the pump.

View attachment 8433 <== here it is wih the boiler, and here's a close-up ==>View attachment 8434

I can't work out whether it is vital, redundant, a trouble-maker, or something in between! In particular, is it affecting the heating system efficiency? Can anyone identify it for me, please, and / or advise on its value?

Thanks in anticipation, Mark
It acts as a de aerator, do a google search on myson Aerjec for details, save my fingers!

Vern, you're spot on - many thanks! Mark
As above yours is a tower, but the principle is the same, just that the myson brings loads of pictures and explanations, they work but can block up if the system has been neglected!

Snowhead, thanks for your response. I think this system has suffered a lot of modification over time.

Right now I think there is a great deal of sludge in our system - three of the radiators are cold in the middle at the bottom, and hot on both sides and at the top. From what you and Vern have explained, someone must have decided this corrosion was due to excessive aeration of the water ... and later decided the air separator wasn't working ... or something. Anyway, I now suspect the only thing is to take off the affected radiators and wash them through, or replace them.

Thanks to you both. Mark

Air separator. Usually a bodge-up to try and get round a problem with air getting into the system as a result of incorrect plumbing. It's the air and pumping over which causes the corrosion and sludge

Power flush and get rid of the air separator and feed & expansion cistern by converting to a sealed system, and say goodbye to your problems.

Air separator. Usually a bodge-up to try and get round a problem with air getting into the system as a result of incorrect plumbing. It's the air and pumping over which causes the corrosion and sludge

Power flush and get rid of the air separator and feed & expansion cistern by converting to a sealed system, and say goodbye to your problems.
Correct, Make sure the boiler is suitable for a sealed system first though, if so it will have an overheat stat fitted also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recognize this cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock