Search the forum,

Discuss Re-usuable or not? Pushfit fittings in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to replace two of the flexible hoses that feed the shower mixer valve. I don't like how they have been bent at a right angle.
All the fitting in our bathroom are these pushfit fittings. I don't know the brand. Fortunately, I have removed some sections of pipework in the bathroom and kept them to investigate how the fixings disassemble. They are really easy.
What I would like to do is...
In the 1st image.. unscrew the collet, pull out the short section of copper pipe that is attached to the Flexi hose.
Remove the Flexi hose and olive from the short section of pipe, retaining the short section of pipe with the o ring and pipe grab and white part that sits between.
Connect a new Flexi hose to the retained copper pipe, and re-install the short section of back onto the lower section of the tee.

Do you think it would reseal ok?

My original plan was to remove the two equal tee's and replace with JG Speedfit. But this would mean removing the two pipes from the other shower also. (The shower are back to back)
I figured there is less to go wrong by retaining the original tees and just disassembling two pipes, than fitting new tee's but having to replace four pipes.

Attachments

• 16669535964361015360137279089567.jpg
    16669535964361015360137279089567.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20221028_103341_664.jpg
    IMG_20221028_103341_664.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20221028_103250_095.jpg
    IMG_20221028_103250_095.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 16669537286802793652561929722244.jpg
    16669537286802793652561929722244.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180519_141641666.jpg
    IMG_20180519_141641666.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 17
The 4th picture was taken 4 years ago and was taken within the other shower. You are looking at the cut out made in the other shower. The two pipes the descend downwards from the equal tee's are the ones that I now need to replace.

I wouldn’t if there going back in a wall

Wouldn't re-use if you are boarding/Tiling over, nor use new JG in such an app, although many would these days. There are better metal push fit fittings

Make sure to use pipe inserts if whatever fittings you choose need them.

Good to get rid of hoses in that application.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

Wouldn't re-use if you are boarding/Tiling over, nor use new JG in such an app, although many would these days. There are better metal push fit fittings

Make sure to use pipe inserts if whatever fittings you choose need them.

Good to get rid of hoses in that application.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)
Hi. Which metal push fit fittings are you referring to?
Would you be kind enough to send a link?
Thanks.

Looks like I'm taking them all out then. 🤣😆

The don’t work on plastic pipe only copper I think ?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/heating-plumbing/pipe-fittings/cat831504?brand=tectite_sprint

Ok. I'm intrigued. Can someone please detail why the Tectite are superior?
Thanks as always

I'm not entirely sure how I would have completed this latest project without the help of people on this forum.
It is much appreciated
Special mention to Shauncorbs and king of Pipes. You have both been very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to answer my many many questions over these last months

Will let the others respond as I personally haven’t used them but I’ve used quite a bit a jg fittings and they’ve been fine

Yep, you can usually mix push-fit plastic fittings with copper pipe and vica versa although I'm not sure if there is any significant advantage with one over the other.

If I really have to use push fit I do like using tectite with copper pipe but that's more to do with the aesthetic as plastic fittings used with copper pipe frankly look shonky (they aren't ) DIY and unprofessional. Lengthy warranties though can be found with all reputable brands.

Ok. I'm intrigued. Can someone please detail why the Tectite are superior?
Thanks as always

I'm not entirely sure how I would have completed this latest project without the help of people on this forum.
It is much appreciated
Special mention to Shauncorbs and king of Pipes. You have both been very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to answer my many many questions over these last months
They are made with the best materials throughly tested and a very versatile product always have a few on the van for difficult situations , probably a bit over kill for your job in all honesty you have plastic push fit kite marked so stick with them please don't rely on flexible
connections to showers these can and do fail over time so need to be visible . I wouldn't reuse fittings o rings , the grab rings can be damaged . Regards Kop

Attachments

• 58191748_Tectite_Databook_A6.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
As Kopp has said tectite classic are excellent fittings installed literally thousands. We have done a number of large restaurants where tectite metal tube and classic fittings are specified never had a problem.
Also handy for that odd time on copper where you just can't get press gun in!

As Kopp has said tectite classic are excellent fittings installed literally thousands. We have done a number of large restaurants where tectite metal tube and classic fittings are specified never had a problem.
Also handy for that odd time on copper where you just can't get press gun in!
Same here bud I did some ASK resurants and used tectite classic in all the toilet areas all sensor tap and auto flush work so built up on ply boards then fitted in timber carcassing worked really well , crimp everywhere else . Kop

Reply to Re-usuable or not? Pushfit fittings in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock