Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Supports in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kane

I have a Stelrad Softline 1100 Double Convector fitted in my livingroom. I removed it to plaster and decorate but the walls were in a far worse state than expected. I have refitted the radiator on the original brackets but immediately long cracks have appeared in the new plaster, coming from one of the brackets. I will have the plaster repaired but before I do I was looking for ways of reducing the load on the walls. I was thinking of some kind of adjustable floor support, that would effectively "jack" up the radiator. I can find supports designed for "coloumn" style radiators but nothing that would fit what I have. Does anyone have any experience of a similar nature or alternative suggestions (short of rebuilding the wall). All help appreciated.

if the plasters cracking that means the fixings are short/ not long enough or the plasters still a bit wet

should be using min 2 1/2 10s i use 3 1/2 12s

Your wall should be able to comfortably hold a rad of that size, how deep is the actual plaster ?
Without sounding daft are the plugs in the wall or in the plaster ?

Is this being fitted on a solid wall or internal plasterboard wall, ? could be using wrong type of fixings for type of wall !!

Thanks for the quick replies gents. It is an internal wall but is solid not plasterboard. I would have to take the radiator off again to check the size of the fittings. I used the fittings that the plumber used to fit the radiator originally so I thought I was on safe ground. The fittings may well not be correct so I will check them but the general strength of the wall is not what it should be which is why i was asking about the supports.

Thanks for the quick replies gents. It is an internal wall but is solid not plasterboard. I would have to take the radiator off again to check the size of the fittings. I used the fittings that the plumber used to fit the radiator originally so I thought I was on safe ground. The fittings may well not be correct so I will check them but the general strength of the wall is not what it should be which is why i was asking about the supports.

re drill and used brown and 3 1/2 12s (with washers) and you can sit on the rad if you want :D

You can get floor mounting brackets.

They fit inside the rad and have clips to hold the rad.

Have had to use them on the odd occasion when not being able to get decent fixings into walls

Sometimes good to use some of the other holes in a radiator bracket for an extra fixing.
Or drill an extra hole in bracket. The top hole is the important one to have a strong sound fixing in.

Thanks guys, as you may have guessed by now I am not"trade". I have tried to google the fixings recommended above and can not find 12s, the closest I can find is this

DeWalt Blue-Tip Concrete Screwbolt Hex Head 12 x 75mm Pk25 | Masonry Bolts | NoLinkingToThis

is this the same thing. I assume the reference to "brown" is a rawlplug.

Please excuse the ignorance

Thanks guys, as you may have guessed by now I am not"trade". I have tried to google the fixings recommended above and can not find 12s, the closest I can find is this

DeWalt Blue-Tip Concrete Screwbolt Hex Head 12 x 75mm Pk25 | Masonry Bolts | NoLinkingToThis

is this the same thing. I assume the reference to "brown" is a rawlplug.

Please excuse the ignorance

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/quicksil...ountersunk-12ga-x-3-pk100/18014?filtered=true

And yes brown rawlplug

and when your there get some washers to spread the load on the rad bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator Supports in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock