Currently reading:
Question to all

Discuss Question to all in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MMA 2011

I started studying Become a Registered Gas Safe Gas Engineer. I just finished the 3 day basic plumbing skills workshop. Does anyone could explain to me what the next steps until the end of my studies. Thank you for any information.:angel_smile:

fault finding on pipe work , solution if it leak put a PTFE on the thread to seal it and it will be ok !had few DIYers calling to put gas hobs and that they had the flexy from B&Q ...." and you going to charge me £60 for just connecting the flexy which I supply , I am not having it " my answer was " I am not having it to " phone down

No I am going to charge you £65 LOL , it does make me laugh people calling me and asking for a price and then say How Much and come out with the line they have been quoted x amount less. My response is get them to do it or call british gas, I am passed the stage of dealing with these idiots

Exactly! I get it all the time, "£60? Wild Bill the gas engineer says he can do it for £40!" "Well, for that price I would snatch his hand off" "He can't come for 3 weeks and I need it doing today" "Well it sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle then. Tata!"

I like that
Well it sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle then. Tata!"
Something I have noticed is the amount of time I spend chatting to people this is something I am starting to address with my new punch line

Phone up the Local colleges for city and guilds cert level 2 domestic natural Gas (6132) as a min with at least 10 mths on job experience on gas (which most are not Acs aligned) course which means you got to pay extra to a Acs centre to get you Gas core safety and cpa1 and core gas appliance tickets like Cen1 (central heating boilers) Htr1 (fires) etc. The Level 2 will only train you and allow you to work on installations that comply with UP1B. (which is to do with the volume of the gas installation and whether what low to medium pressure installations you can work on.) Employers can see this as a restricting to where they can send you especially if the town is medium pressure supplied from upstream from the supplier .

Ideally you need to train up to Nvq level 3 Domestic Natural Gas: Installation & Maintenance which will allow you to work on UP1b, UP1a. (this course takes 10 months full time plus work experience and that is cramming it in doing it 5 days a week in college. Most employers like BG want you to have this qualification if you do not have the experience

I'm currently finishing off my level 2 in December then doing my Acs( accredited certification scheme) but want to return back to college to gain the level 3 to improve my prospects.

There is no other short way of putting this but there is no short sharp course that can teach you in 4 weeks, yes you may pass a Acs course but will you know how to fix a boiler properly instead of chucking parts at it and not understanding why it has a failure. And knowing how to find faults.

Exactly! I get it all the time, "£60? Wild Bill the gas engineer says he can do it for £40!" "Well, for that price I would snatch his hand off" "He can't come for 3 weeks and I need it doing today" "Well it sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle then. Tata!"
i always say yes i can do it for £40 in three weeks as well ill let you know when im comming bye

yes had a good one yesterday ,customer said glowworm had been out and the engineer said he thought the diverter valve needed replacing as there was no hot water , I took all the details and then the customer asked me how much would it cost and i said it could cost £130 plus the part @ trade , customer cancelled job as he said it was to dear , I smell a rat on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question to all in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back