Search the forum,

Discuss Qualified plumber to fit a basin waste? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I've just purchased a Crosswater click clack basin waste to fit into my new Crosswater Glide II 100 ceramic basin. I went with the ceramic waste fitting to match the basin and it had to be slotted.

When I received it, the first thing I noticed was how large the ceramic head was. I didn't recall it looking this big in the images and so I checked and realised that the unslotted version has a smaller head than the slotted version. I'll be damned if I know why. Same style of waste, one is slotted and the other isn't, but they make the heads a different size!

Slotted on left unslotted on right:

BSW0103GW_1_w635_h476.jpg
BSW0101GW-1_w635_h476.jpg

The second thing I noticed (getting to the point now :) ) is that the supplied warranty information explains that a qualified plumber must install the waste otherwise the warranty is void. There is a lot of information about what they consider to be a qualified plumber and it definitely isn't me - I'm a DIY'er.

Am I missing something? These Crosswater waste's don't seem to be any different to others I've fitted and I've never come across a requirement like this before. In fact, if anything, the seals they supply seem pretty poor and I would be surprised if they would stop water leaking from the basin.

I'm not trying to take anything away from plumbers and their qualifications, but is it really necessary to hire a plumber to fit a basin waste, assuming anyone would even be interested in a job like that?

I've just purchased a Crosswater click clack basin waste to fit into my new Crosswater Glide II 100 ceramic basin. I went with the ceramic waste fitting to match the basin and it had to be slotted.

When I received it, the first thing I noticed was how large the ceramic head was. I didn't recall it looking this big in the images and so I checked and realised that the unslotted version has a smaller head than the slotted version. I'll be damned if I know why. Same style of waste, one is slotted and the other isn't, but they make the heads a different size!

Slotted on left unslotted on right:

View attachment 41858View attachment 41859

The second thing I noticed (getting to the point now :) ) is that the supplied warranty information explains that a qualified plumber must install the waste otherwise the warranty is void. There is a lot of information about what they consider to be a qualified plumber and it definitely isn't me - I'm a DIY'er.

Am I missing something? These Crosswater waste's don't seem to be any different to others I've fitted and I've never come across a requirement like this before. In fact, if anything, the seals they supply seem pretty poor and I would be surprised if they would stop water leaking from the basin.

I'm not trying to take anything away from plumbers and their qualifications, but is it really necessary to hire a plumber to fit a basin waste, assuming anyone would even be interested in a job like that?
No just get on with it and make it work in my opinion, qualifications are for boilers, unvented systems and commercial plumbing. centralheatking

Some of the clicker wastes have the larger ‘mushroom’ plug for no particular reason other than it looks better and slightly easier to push on being larger.

As to wether you need to be “a qualified plumber” to install a basin waste, - no you don’t. Manufacturers tend to advise getting a pro into do everything to push blame on the customer should anything go wrong. (Fair enough for anything dangerous or complicated or needing skilled persons, but not a basin waste for a competent diyer).
For your own house you just need to install it properly. Not as easy as it seems though and got to be careful with the seals. I would advise the use of sealant.
Also one of the slots should be aligned directly with the overflow to help avoid the overflow blocking and to aid cleaning it when needed.
For doing any work for a customer you would need to be both competent and properly insured.

Thanks guys. I think I've just worked out why Crosswater expect an experienced plumber to install their products. It's because their sizes don't seem to make any sense, even the technical support person at Crosswater was confused when I called to ask if their 1 1/4" furniture trap would connect to their click clack wastes, which appear to be 1 1/2"!

The furniture trap spec shows the following:

BTR0410W furniture trap.JPG

Note how there are TWO different horizontal position diagrams; one showing 1 1/2" and the other showing 1 1/4"? Confusing? Well apparently, the technical person says Crosswater only sell the 1 1/4" version. TBF it does say this at the bottom of the document, but not on any of their trap descriptions!

Moving onto the waste, their website doesn't show any measurements for the ceramic click clack version (BSW0103GW) I have purchased, but measuring the very end of the waste it appears to be 40mm or 1 1/2"! Again, technical support directed me to one of their other wastes (apparently they are all the same size) and this shows the following dimensions:

waste dimentions.JPG

Where it shows G1 1/4, when I measure the outside of the thread it is closer to 1 1/2 i.e. 40mm!

I guess I'll just have to buy the furniture trap and hope it fits.

Attachments

• BTR0410W furniture trap.JPG
    BTR0410W furniture trap.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 7
I went ahead and purchased a furniture trap and despite the drawings I can confirm it does fit the click clack waste.

It's interesting how many "brands" exist for this furniture trap with prices ranging from £10 to £40! I guess it is made by a single manufacturer, then the various companies, such as crosswater, stick their brand on it and sell it as theirs for a huge markup.

I ended up purchasing the cheapest one I could find, which was £9.95 on Amazon: Nuie E325.

Looks identical to the Crosswater version at £40: Furniture Basin Trap

Reply to Qualified plumber to fit a basin waste? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock