Search the forum,

Discuss Purchasing Taps - Low or High Pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnderPressure

HAm seeking some advice with purchasing new taps. I am told that due to the age of my property and design of my gravity fed water system, it is imperative that I purchase low pressure taps for my new bathroom/ensuite etc.

What constitutes a low pressure versus high pressure tap? What is considered to be low pressure? What is considered to be high pressure?

Can anyone make any recommendations at to manufacturers of good quality "low pressure" mixer taps for handbasins?

Thanks very much

Ask in the merchants where you are buying. Their catalogues will give pressure ratings for taps. if you want good quality you'll have to pay for it. Buy a cheap tap and it will not last long. Go for an established manufacturer rather than cheap foreign imports from the sheds.

Mike

Mike

Can you recommend an established manufacturer of good quality - low pressure mixer taps?

What are "the sheds?". I need to know in order to be sure I avoid them :)

Regards

Paul

Taps= Armitage Shanks, Bristan, Pegler.

Sheds are the DIY sheds B&Q, Wickes etc.

Mike

Careful buying taps. In the sheds at one time you could buy taps that where not to standard. There was no law to prevent a company selling such taps. But there was if you fitted them. Check the WRc site, they have great big lists of acceptable stuff.

We had loads of problems at one time with people going to the likes of B and Q fitting there own taps and after a short while they would leak like mad from the packing gland. Breaking them down showed nothing wrong, they just could not stand the pressure in the UK. More so now with combis supplying the hot at mains pressures.

Best get a good make like those mentioned or those on the WRc list and shop around for best prices. Shanks and Armitage are really good but can be pricey.

And don't forget your ball o flows and nrv's if required.

Thanks fellas for the advice. Will look for the brands you recommend

Bernie: I found the WRc site but found no lists. Do you have the URL to point me in the right place? Thanks

taps are taps - hi or low pressure dont really matter - the old kitchen tap in yer kitchen will normally be under mains pressure - does it blow up ??
if u want to gothe way usa is going get disc taps or if u are on about showertaps get a power shower fitted - job done

HAm seeking some advice with purchasing new taps. I am told that due to the age of my property and design of my gravity fed water system, it is imperative that I purchase low pressure taps for my new bathroom/ensuite etc.

What constitutes a low pressure versus high pressure tap? What is considered to be low pressure? What is considered to be high pressure?

Can anyone make any recommendations at to manufacturers of good quality "low pressure" mixer taps for handbasins?

Thanks very much

Low pressure is generally around 0.2bar and high pressure is generally a minimum of 1.0-1.5bar.

Some manufacturers only offer high pressure taps as this is what is used on the continent. In the uk, like yourself a lot of people have gravity fed systems which is why you need low pressure.

thanks

Low pressure is generally around 0.2bar and high pressure is generally a minimum of 1.0-1.5bar.

Some manufacturers only offer high pressure taps as this is what is used on the continent. In the uk, like yourself a lot of people have gravity fed systems which is why you need low pressure.

thanks

Aaron..appreciate your input but do not link to website until things are sorted....

thanks dave..

taps are taps - hi or low pressure dont really matter - the old kitchen tap in yer kitchen will normally be under mains pressure - does it blow up ??

taps are not the same,we have low pressure and high pressure taps
The kitchen cold may be on the mains,the hot could be low pressure from tank
'does it blow up'
when we talk about high pressure taps and low pressure taps,we are not talking about the pressure the tap can withstand but the size of the opening through the tap to allow better flow rate,the bigger the openings the better the flow rate through the tap when on low pressure

Yes Puddles right.

It should just be a case of low pressure has a bigger hole for the water to come out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Purchasing Taps - Low or High Pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock