Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Pumped ch gravity he to sealed system installation problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ryangas

Right guys been and converted a system to sealed from ov today but can't get any heat at the rads we located the new boiler in the cupboard where the cylinder was used the 28 mm flow and return from the cylinder to connect to the heating flow and return at the back boiler but no heat at rads one thing I found. Funny was the. Heating flow and return from the bbu go off in 22 for a foot and then go to 15 there's a rad in the lounge which goes off the 22 before it rduces which got boiling that was turned off but still nothing the flow at a few of the rads is Luke warm but that's it any suggestions please. Let me know
regards Ryan

I don't known what that is Kevin can you explain ps there is a return to the boiler

Antigravity valve fitted somewhere ?
Yep this......take off boxing in on chimney breast, and you will find a spring loaded valve, drain and remove, above assumes you have piped the BBU through correctly and piped old pump through without cutting off upstairs return, this will be a tee behind where you removed the old pump.

I know what the valve is not its like a non return valve should have said the boiler we have put in is a combi what do you mean by the upstairs return there were four pipes 2x22 2x28 I would hav o assume the 22 are the heating f and r and the 28 the hw f&r

Nothing was capped just linked 28 to 22 it shouldn't matter what is f& r as it will run either way ? I feel so stupid with this I should be able to rectify it but I'm just stumped thanks

Nothing was capped just linked 28 to 22 it shouldn't matter what is f& r as it will run either way ? I feel so stupid with this I should be able to rectify it but I'm just stumped thanks
It does if the pump was down stairs, where was it fitted it would have to have been piped through

Is there a NRV? if so it does matter also which way it was piped as it will not run either way, guessed it was a combi as you removed cylinder lol to use circs

Last edited by a moderator:
By piped through what do you mean mate pump was removed and replaced with copper

I thought about it being air locked but the flow is returning but there re a few rads that run off one 15 mm circuit

Would it matter if the flow and return were switched ex flow to return rent to flow

There was what looked like a nrv but I removed it lol I'm in dumb bum mode I think

The 15mm flow and return is confusing me why would someone do that
Flow will have split from 22mm to 15mm up and down on chimney breast, correct? It was probably solid fuel converted to gas at some point, so it was how it was done then as it would almost boil round, with the pump to assist

Bbu had 2 outlets both had ch flow / rtn and was teed off in 28 to cylinder I was a bit stumped when I saw that tbh as there aren't many bbu round here so not removed many

Pump on return with what looked like a nrv after it going into the boiler

Pump on return with what looked like a nrv after it going into the boiler
Check for another NRV on old ch flow on chimney breast, only answer and think you have some how reversed original F & R, ask customer if upstairs rads used to come on with JUST hot water on on BBU, IF THEY DID NOT AN NRV IS FITTED

Norm ## there isn't anything else in the boxing either I suppose it could be somewhere else

So if I swap the flow and return over and there is a nrv that should do the trick ??

Actually it can't be that as there's a return flow to the boiler that's right isn't it ?

Unless there's on on the return for the other rads as the only rad working is the one teed off the 22

Unless there's on on the return for the other rads as the only rad working is the one teed off the 22
Can you post up a drawing off how it was piped? And is now.... it would also work on rad if you had crossed F&R as flow would use old upstairs return that would have been behind old pump!

Check for another NRV on old ch flow on chimney breast, only answer and think you have some how reversed original F & R, ask customer if upstairs rads used to come on with JUST hot water on on BBU, IF THEY DID NOT AN NRV IS FITTED

Not if it was piped by anyone with half a clue how systems worked. This seems to be an English thing. I've fitted and worked on 1000's of gravity jobs and never come across an anti gravity valve yet and neither has anyone i know up here.

To the OP for future reference.
Leave the 1" revolves where they are unless you can be bothered stripping them for scrap.
Catch onto the main runs elsewhere. It is just as easy.

Not if it was piped by anyone with half a clue how systems worked. This seems to be an English thing. I've fitted and worked on 1000's of gravity jobs and never come across an anti gravity valve yet and neither has anyone i know up here.

To the OP for future reference.
Leave the 1" revolves where they are unless you can be bothered stripping them for scrap.
Catch onto the main runs elsewhere. It is just as easy.

Agree but common as muck down here, don't know where the OP is from?
i have seen loads of problems like this and also chatter of the valves if left in and the flow is going the right way....

Before the internet i'd never heard of an anti gravity valve. A bit common sense used meant it would never be needed.

This was the way we done then. Drop the CH flow leaving the boiler. CH can't work on gravity. (Excuse the magic marker it is all i could find :smile:)

Attachments

• bbu.JPG
    bbu.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 25
Before the internet i'd never heard of an anti gravity valve. A bit common sense used meant it would never be needed.

This was the way we done then. Drop the CH flow leaving the boiler. CH can't work on gravity. (Excuse the magic marker it is all i could find :smile:)
Top drawer pal I like! Yep that's how I was taught, the same guy who taught me had forearms like the top of my legs, and could bend 28mm pipe with a spring over his knee as tight as his hilmor!
Problem is down here I bet only 20% are piped like that, so they bash a anti gravity valve in, some even fitted a 22mm gate valve on c/h flow and it got called a "summer valve"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pumped ch gravity he to sealed system installation problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock