Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Pump Won’t Stop Running in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. TD68

TD68 New Member

I have an Ideal Classic FF230-280 Boiler on a ‘closed’ system. For some unknown reason the main circulating pump now never shuts off, even if the hot water and central heating are not called for on the timer. The only way to turn it off is to actually turn the main switch off on the wall. I have had a competent plumber look at it and he is stumped, I had an electrician out today and he checked all the wiring of the pump and 2-way valves and he confirms all is in order? Help!

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

trace the wiring back your getting power from something easy for a spark or heating engy to sort

• Like Like x 1
  3. TD68

TD68 New Member

Many thanks, I do trust the plumber who I have had and the electrician who came today spent a long time testing circuits and came recommended. Any idea where the fault could be - could it be the pump itself? Cheers
    Tony

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

I hope the spark didn’t charge you for a days work.

The fault almost certainly is contained within the boiler controls ...

I’m a spark !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TD68

TD68 New Member

Fair play to electricians, he didn’t charge me anything as he said he could not find a fault. Thanks for the tip.
    Tony

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

time for them two to retire or change professions i think

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. John.g

John.g Active Member

Had that happen in relations oil fired system, turned out to be that the auxiliary (end) switch on one of the two port zone valves (Honeywell V4043H) wasn't opening when valve was directed closed, just replaced valve head and all was well, as far as I can remember the grey wire was permanently live to the switch and the orange wire gave the run signal to the boiler.
    Your plumber/electrician has probably checked all this out anyway but worth mentioning maybe.

8. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There's only a couple reasons that this could be happening. And the pump itself isn't one of them. If you've had a electrician test the circuits and he couldn't find anything then he doesn't know what he's doing. The fault can be found in an hour.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TD68

TD68 New Member

Many thanks for the replies, I will get the wiring checked again.