Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyparty92

I know that 1 metre = 0.1 bar so say if you have a cistern in a loft and a straight drop of pipe down 10 metres the pressure at that outlet will be 1 bar of pressure assuming its a straight drop with no fittings restricting the flow. Is this the same as working the pressure out at a point and if there's three metres of pipe going up then will the pressure be 0.3 bar below the pressure originally. Also is this rule the same for 15/22 mm pipe sizes. And also do you increase the distance of a pipe run by what fittings Are including in the run for the purpose of working the pressure out? Thank you in advance for any answers :).

Pressure is determined by head as you have described. Flow is influenced by fittings and the run of the pipe work.

So the 1 metre = 0.1 bar rule applies with pipe work going up and horizontal pipe work aswell?

Head is all about vertical height .

Static pressure (nothing moving) does not care about pipe size.

your doing it wrong, its 0.1 bar per meter head to the outlet. so measure the bottom of the tank to the outlet point

So the 1 metre = 0.1 bar rule applies with pipe work going up and horizontal pipe work aswell?

It is the vertical distance that matters; so if you drop 1m and across 3m, the (static) pressure is still 0.1 bar.

Pipe size doesn't affect static pressure, so 15mm or 22mm pipe will have the same static pressure.

Dynamic or working pressure is different, and this is affected by pipe runs, pipe size and fittings (as well as horizontal runs) due to pipe resistance.

Hope that helps.

this is what I think your asking.

Untitled.png

Aw ok thank you everybody I assume to work out the flow rate at any given outlet is quite hard?

Each fitting reduces flow (sudden change in direction)

pulled (gentle) bends should reduce flow less .

So say your adding an additional bathroom to a property? How would you work out that there will be enough flow to supply say a WC basin and shower?

Last edited by a moderator:
but you wouldnt work out if there is enough flow, you would try to estimate if the tanks could supply the bathroom first or upgrade them to larger tanks, then tap into the hot pipe work and tank (shortest runs possible if you can) and you should be ok then work out what pressure the bathroom will have if its two low pump it.

thats what I would do anyway someone may have a better way
+ that link what i sent you tell you how to size pipes......

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to consider diversity if you're adding an extra bathroom. No need to spec the system to supply all appliances at once, as chances are they won't all be used at the same time.

So are the total loading units for each appliance based on how much they might be used?

am i too old for this but i thought head was from water level not bottom of tank preausre is basically the weight of water above a point (if you realy want to be technical its the gravity thats acting on it) therefore its taken from the higher point

am i too old for this but i thought head was from water level not bottom of tank preausre is basically the weight of water above a point (if you realy want to be technical its the gravity thats acting on it) therefore its taken from the higher point

It's the atmosphere or so I thought. Too much wine... She's got the dinner cooking time wrong. Fecking starving.

I agree with this train of thought, otherwise if you had a 10 metre deep tank you would be thinking of starting at 0 bar when in fact it is 1 bar.

You need to measure the head from the lowest point of the cistern. Suppose you had the 10m deep cistern as above and had a tap that required 1 bar 5m below it. If there was a large draw off the tap would stop working when the cistern was half empty.

You need to measure the head from the lowest point of the cistern. Suppose you had the 10m deep cistern as above and had a tap that required 1 bar 5m below it. If there was a large draw off the tap would stop working when the cistern was half empty.
The tap would be subject to 1.5bar when the cistern is full, as it empties half way, it would still have 1 bar of pressure being exerted on it.

If you imagine a tall cistern, with taps positioned one at the top, one at the bottom. Which tap would spray the furthest?

if you had a preasure relief valve set at 3 bar and the metre high tank gave 2.9 bar to the base when it was full the valve would discharge i was more in the mathmatically correct mode than practical

Last edited:
Actually, just re-read what you've said and I see the point you're trying to make! D'oh! For the case of designing a system, assume pressure from the bottom of the cistern as you can't guarantee the cistern will always be full! Not that your likely to find a cistern deep enough in a domestic property for it to make a noticeable difference!

It's directly related to the existing 'head' in the tank. Diminishing returns or something!

Just been on to Wikipedia for a definition of pressure and head, even tried the translate to Chinese keys at the bottom it made exactly the same sense, think this may go on for some time.

Actually, just re-read what you've said and I see the point you're trying to make! D'oh! For the case of designing a system, assume pressure from the bottom of the cistern as you can't guarantee the cistern will always be full! Not that your likely to find a cistern deep enough in a domestic property for it to make a noticeable difference!

If you're designing systems to that close a tolerance you're asking for trouble anyway.

If you're designing systems to that close a tolerance you're asking for trouble anyway.

i agree but the preasure at the tap if you fitted a guage it would equate to the head including the tank level but as youi say the difference would be negligable on domestic but noticable on something like a water tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock