Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plum Bob 66

Hi

Attended emergency call out Friday night at 11.15pm. The customers kitchen, downstairs shower room were sodden with surface water. The water was clearly leaking through the downstairs shower room ceiling from the bathroom above. After looking upstairs it was clear the water had come from the vanity unit but all the pipe work was in good order and there was no leakage from the bath. The old lady was somewhat confused and said she had turned off the cold tap on the vanity unit. I did note the water pressure was very high. The basin was fitted with lever taps (possibly tap revivers, non ceramic).

Is it possible that water pressure could have turend this type of tap on and pushed it over the rim of the basin, if so it must have been happening for a good few hours to create such a flood downstairs.

Has any body come across this sort of thing before ??

Plum Bob :confused:

yes that can happen,seen it in a old folks home,put inline pressure reducer on cold

Could have been the cold tap on the vanity unit had not been turned off fully and it had leaked back down spout and down basin,have seen left like that for days until someone sees below,when customer checks and closed tap correctly,all was ok,this happened a lot with basin taps supplied in the ninties,with the sput end to shallow
All due respect but also you have to be carefull with older folk as sometimes they do things and do not like to admit it or realise it,have had a few floods/bad leaks from elderly people from up stairs flats ect,due to taps left on,with plugs in ect
It is also easy for confusion to set in,getting that way my self :(:)

If tap old lever type with large lifting washer thread,could be lifted by very high pressure,,if so maybe replace head with disc type.I have seen some with elastic bands between hot and cold to make sure kept closed,this is usually to stop them knocking them open though without realising

Last edited by a moderator:
Realy appreciate this because for a moment I thought i was going crackers here. The taps are the washer type, allthough she informed me they had only been in place for 6 months. I will suggets she changes them to ceramic 1/4 turns

Plum Bob

8 bar plus, yes water as arround theri of the basin, s its falling into place..

sounds like the mystery is solved #i too would advise to fit #PRV to about 2.5 and put some proper quarter turn lever taps on

I think so, and will do. Thanks for the feedback gents.

Regards
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock