Discuss power flush necessary? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jessdog

Hello can anyone help? I have just had a worcester Bosch Greenstar Junior installed . Its a small property and only has 2 medium sized radiators and one very small one. My old boiler was a Vokera flowmatic conventional and had been installed for approximately 20 years. I did not know anything about boilers and I'm sure when I got my verbal estimate the installer said a flush out would be done. I have been researching as there are 1 or 2 concerns I had about the installation. I have read some horror stories about the condensing boilers breaking down due to damage to the heat exchangers etc due to sludge in the old radiators also the need to add an inhibitor. I read about Magiclean. I have read theres a water flush or a powerflush for which you need a machine.

I raised this concern with my plumber and he said a power flush is not necessary and I would be wasting my money. I think he said the Vokera was not a cast iron based system so it is not necessary. I just wanted to check if this is correct as I'm worried about whether inhibitor was added or not, how could I check this?

Thank you. Any advice would be appreciated. The boiler is currently switched off due to another issue.

When your installer fills in the benchmark, back of the manufacturers instruction booklet, he'll have stated what chemicals he's used regards inhibitor! Personally i believe at the least a magnetic filter would have been a benefit for you just because of the age of the existing system and likelyhood of there being maganatite present!

thanks for your reply. To be honest he did not fill in the benchmark and me being naive did not realise this even existed until I tried to register the guarantee with Woecester. The issue is ongoing and I have asked the installer to fill this in. Even if he says he has added inhibitor whats the best way of checking this. Do you think I should get someone independent to powerflush it? Do you know what he meant by the flowmatic is not a cast iron system.

Regards the flowmatic . Vokera heatexchangers were copper, certainly not cast iron thats for sure!

Has your installer registered the installation with GasSafe? It's mandatory!

If you're concerned about the state of your system water you can have a sample analysed by the likes of Sentinel. I don't know how you go about this or how much it costs. You can also purchase DIY test kits I believe! A powerflush will most definitely benefit the system. No harm in getting a few independent quotes/assessments by plumbers who can give you a better idea as they'd be able to see the layout etc of your system!

There are plenty folk on here, maybe someone is in your area ?... :)

thanks you have been very helpful. I'm clueless. I thought he meant the inside of the boiler was cast iron not just the heat exchanger! imagine a boiler made out of copper!!! I'm in Manchester. Hopefully the boiler will be registered with gas safe soon and the benchmark filled in.

In the worse case senario if nothing has been added is it probable or unlikely that the boiler would breakdown after 1 year as I've read elsewhere and is it just the heat exchanger that would be damaged or other parts of the boiler from the lack of proper flushing.

Thank you

For such a small system which has not contained a boiler with a ferrous heat exchanger ,i would have perhaps visited a week previous,added some cleaner such as Sentinel x300..let it swoosh round for a week or so then flush out. I would then install new system and fill/flush without the boiler in place,fit boiler,commission,fit magnaclean ,add inhibitor. Power flushes are not always necessary.

If the system has a lot of crud left in it can affect quite a lot of the components withing the appliance most any that come into contact with the system water! It can also invalidate your warranty!!! If a component part fails within the 1st year due to an inadequately cleaned system then the manufacturer is well within there rights to charge you for the repair!!!

thanks again. I think it looks as if i should have a water flush done, it not a power flush. Does the boiler have to be taken out or can it be done while it is still in place?

For such a small system which has not contained a boiler with a ferrous heat exchanger ,i would have perhaps visited a week previous,added some cleaner such as Sentinel x300..let it swoosh round for a week or so then flush out. I would then install new system and fill/flush without the boiler in place,fit boiler,commission,fit magnaclean ,add inhibitor. Power flushes are not always necessary.

I'd agree pssst ... It can be overkill and an unneccessary expense to use a machine. :)

with a small system thats always been a combi you probably dont need a power flush fitter probably made a judgement that it wasnt needed
not filling in the benchmark is the biggest problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to power flush necessary? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Mother-in-law was quoted £1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4...
Replies
Views
I get orange spots when washing clothes. Please see photo. I think it is rust. I’ve checked there’s no metal in the machine. I have also run...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the...
Replies
Views
A few years ago I installed a wall hung toilet pan in my last house which did not flush well when disposing of waste solids. The water would rise...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock