Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Promax System - No power?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys,

After a long day I got sent to have a look at a Potterton Promax System boiler.

All lights off. I checked the fuse spur. No power in or out.

switch at the board had tripped.

Turned back on but fuse would keep blowing.

No leaks visible in boiler, no loose connections that I can see.

The pump at the cylinder has had some leakage. Disconnected the pump and tried the power again. Still trips and blows the fuse.

Any ideas??!!

I have probably missed something but was at the end of a long few days and wasn't exactly focused.

Thanks

Your on the right track I believe, disconnect components one by one eg timer, fan etc until it doesnt blow the fuse.

Big fault then from direct connection pump or fan possibly a fault on supply main switch? At worst pcb transformer dead.

Got to go and do a flush and commission on a new install first thing so hopefully get to go back and have another look with a clear head.

Got to go and do a flush and commission on a new install first thing so hopefully get to go back and have another look with a clear head.
firstly look at components where water and elec can mix you have treid a pump,3 port would be next port of call disconnect lives and neutrals from it however may want to discon boiler first as its easier,2x fast fuses in wiring strip in drop down cover one on live one on neutral remove both and try the trip

not familiar with the boiler and i know its not a combi but microswitches on pressure switches can get wet and short out

Hi guys. It was the pump inside the boiler. The bronze pump at the cylinder has been showing signs of leakage so that's what we thought it was.

The pump inside the boiler was only replaced just before christmas and no signs of leaks/damage so we did not suspect that. Will be getting returned to Grundfos as I'm sure they have a longer life expectancy than 3 months.

Thanks for the replies.

Hi guys,

After a long day I got sent to have a look at a Potterton Promax System boiler.

All lights off. I checked the fuse spur. No power in or out.

switch at the board had tripped.

Turned back on but fuse would keep blowing.

No leaks visible in boiler, no loose connections that I can see.

The pump at the cylinder has had some leakage. Disconnected the pump and tried the power again. Still trips and blows the fuse.

Any ideas??!!

I have probably missed something but was at the end of a long few days and wasn't exactly focused.

Thanks

One of the worst things you can do is to keep resetting the breaker, the fault should be traced with a meter before applying the power, if the MCB has tripped the first time there was a reason, never reset it even the first time you see it tripped.

Its a bit like a manometer-less electrician testing for a gas leak by sense of smell only.

Glad you found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Promax System - No power?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Hi can anybody help me with a problem I am having. following a power cut the heating and hot water failed. The boiler would light but it would go out because of no flow. I thought it was the programmer blown because if it wasn’t calling for heat or hot water it doesn’t trip the electric,but as...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, hoping someone can help with a problem that's been perplexing me since just before Christmas..... I have a wet underfloor heating system installed in 2003 and manufactured by Underfloor Direct in NI - Now out of business. It's one of their triple tube systems and hasn't given me much...
Replies
Views
I have an old Potterton suprima boiler with a hot water tank and pump. We have hot water but no heating, the light on the boiler is showing amber (no call to heat) I have been told that this is likely due to the 3 way valve or motor on it (Myson Power Extra). I am wondering whether to try and...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock