Discuss potential floor problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
gents, could anybody help me with this ... I need to move an unvented cylinder, its on a first floor with all pipes comeing to it from under the floor. Its in a very expencive appartment and is only about 7 Years old. I pulled up a carpet today and found a timber floor covered with a blue coloured plastic laminate stuck to it. It must be glued down in massive sheets and there isnt a screw or nail anywhere, it looks a nightmere to get up. I just get the feeling the joists holding it all up wont be 6x2 timber joists. Anybody any ideas, thanks.

That sounds like chip board flooring i used to see go out of the timber yard i did some bits in.

there were 8" x 2" sheet as per normal chipboard sheets but had a green sheet bonded to them, they were designed ( I believe) so that floors could be put down inside the building before the roof when on as they were water proof, an attempt to combat the working at height rule i suspect!

They usually left on wagons packed with multi-web engineered joists and lots of tubs of glue, PU glue I believe, and this was lavished over everything as this added to the waterproof seal of the floor.

Nope no nails!! nails is time and money!! just bonded with pu glue the entire length of the joists!!

gents, could anybody help me with this ... I need to move an unvented cylinder, its on a first floor with all pipes comeing to it from under the floor. Its in a very expencive appartment and is only about 7 Years old. I pulled up a carpet today and found a timber floor covered with a blue coloured plastic laminate stuck to it. It must be glued down in massive sheets and there isnt a screw or nail anywhere, it looks a nightmere to get up. I just get the feeling the joists holding it all up wont be 6x2 timber joists. Anybody any ideas, thanks.

If its a laminate, why not just cut a small section out (that wont be see - ah its covered in carpet anyway) and investigate as a preliminary part of the job?

Russ

thanks for the replys so far chaps, the 'laminate' ,is like the surface of a non-slip tile.
Its more what I will find underneath. As ADM says they might be the weird ply 'type' engineering joists.
I have to move some 22mm copper and they could make it difficult, (not been able to notch etc)

Bod . no pal, its in the posh part of Yorkshire ... Wetherby, LOL.( full of dirty Leeds fans)

Could you be on about the renovated mill development and new build apartments near Plover rd.
Sorry I cant remember the developments name but its in that area.

you could explain to the customer it needs a joiner to remove the floor and repair after that way you pass the buck

If it's the ones I'm thinking of its fire retardant to stop the lot going up instantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to potential floor problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock