Search the forum,

Discuss Possible insurance claim....is this my fault? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
18 months ago I did some tiling work to a shower enclosure which has now developed a leak from the built in shower that I didn't fit or touch. The leak is in the stud wall and can only be seen dripping when taps are used/toilets flushed which I can only assume is due to the pressure drop and a worn spindle in the shower.

Customers are on my side and agree I didn't touch any plumbing in the shower and that it wasn't leaking while I was doing the work, but are wanting to put it through their home insurance. Their loss adjuster hinted they want to claim off my insurance but how can I be held responsable for wear and tear on an existing shower I tiled round 18 months ago when everything was bone dry when I finished.

I was there tonight and spoke to their home insurance guy and he told me not to touch or cap off the pipes to the shower even though the floor was soaked underneath.

Do I have anything to worry about?, I've never had to use my insurance.

Any tips on what to say or what not to say?

The trouble is, your insurer may decide to settle on the grounds that its not worth fighting, and then shove your premium up to recover it. It happens on "knock-for-knock" car insurance all the time.

What if I refuse to give them my details? If it came to it I'd rather just sort it myself (max two days work) with them buying new shower but in doing that am I admitting responsibility?

The trouble is, your insurer may decide to settle on the grounds that its not worth fighting, and then shove your premium up to recover it. It happens on "knock-for-knock" car insurance all the time.
That just aint cricket

If they do try to do this make a complaint to the FCA. Process i believe is you initially have to complain to your insurer if an agreement cannot be reached within 40 days then it will be referred to the FCA who will investigate and give a decision which is binding on the insurer/s.

Customer agreed it was existing work & you hadn't touched it, so not your fault. It's with their house insurance.
I wonder perhaps you should contact your insurance & warn them NOT to pay out as the customers insurance company were trying to commit a fraud by recommending that an old shower valve fitted years ago by somebody else should be claimed of them because you did a tiling job long ago & are insured with them.
To me, it sounds like simple fraud & therefore illegal & I would challenge anyone who try's it on.

Last edited:
I think their loss adjuster has just seen a leak under a newly fitted enclosure and pointed the blame at me. I don't know what process happens next that proves its the existing shower thats not an intermitent leak.

Everythings still in early stages.

The best way to deal with it is to meet the insurance adviser (there's) on site first thing Monday morning, have a look together at the damage and shower valve and see what he says.....if he try's to pass the blame over to you I suggest you head butt him and whilst his momentary stunned give him the left hook right jab then calmly ask again what he thinks!! Idiot people!

Tell them to feck off. Something leaks that you didnt install and they want to claim on your insurance. At 18 months they have no chance of claiming on anything other than their own insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possible insurance claim....is this my fault? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock