Search the forum,

Discuss plumbing improver in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jacky_boy

just a question lads. Im a level 3 qualified plumber, im sitting my gas next week...and once Ive finished my solar, I'll be totally finished at college.

I've been told Im getting taken on at my company, but on an improvers wage (amount undecided so far)

My question is, is this right/legal or what..? is this the done thing. Ive spoken to other lads who've served time with the company and they went straight onto full rate. So its not like its the 'done thing'...Im just confused.

Don't get me wrong if this is ok to do I'm happy to do it, happy to get taken on etc. However if not, i will have to take the case up, or speak to my union rep.

I know some lads with just college experience go on an improvers wage...but Im 22, I have just served a 4 year apprenticeship, and it just seems strange then going onto this instead of full rate.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me
Jack

In this case Qualifications kinda mean nothing, can you do the work and earn the money? If you're earning the company the same money as the big boys then you should be earning he big boys wages. That's the way I'd see it mate.

thats the issue, id be in a team with another lad halfing the work on one day heatings as far as i know...as long as its legal. i dont mind being an improver for a bt. 6 months i would say is a fair time scale.

However if they're going to drag it out to a year, maybe more. whilst im on reduced rate, doing half the work on 1 day heating systems. Questions have to be asked because it sounds like cheap labour.

So long as its over national minimum wage its legal.

Other than that - if you can get work at higher rates from a different firm, you are free to do that. If your employer recognises your union, then you may have recourse there.

My suggestion is to sit down with your boss and talk it through. He may have reservations about whether you can work unsupervised for example, or on difficult jobs. Perhaps you can negotiate a timescale, and/or schedule reviews?

I certainly wouldn't suggest anything confrontational - there's no shortage of skilled tradesmen looking for work.

Give it a few months then if you really feel like you're pulling your weight the as ray said have a nice chat with the powers that be. When ever I ask for a pay rise I make sure myself that I'm way ahead of the game.

Fair points Ray, I'll ask on the time scale, no if its the done thing i won't go to anyone about it. I certainly wasn't planning confrontation.

I'll use the opportunity to start shining and showing them Im up to scratch. Maybe if i come on well on my own, it could even effect when my wage goes up, who knows. its a bit up in the air at the minute.

Give it a few months then if you really feel like you're pulling your weight the as ray said have a nice chat with the powers that be. When ever I ask for a pay rise I make sure myself that I'm way ahead of the game.

ok mate will do. If i was to ask I'd be fully prepared with a decent case. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumbing improver in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock