Search the forum,

Discuss plumbing improver in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jacky_boy

just a question lads. Im a level 3 qualified plumber, im sitting my gas next week...and once Ive finished my solar, I'll be totally finished at college.

I've been told Im getting taken on at my company, but on an improvers wage (amount undecided so far)

My question is, is this right/legal or what..? is this the done thing. Ive spoken to other lads who've served time with the company and they went straight onto full rate. So its not like its the 'done thing'...Im just confused.

Don't get me wrong if this is ok to do I'm happy to do it, happy to get taken on etc. However if not, i will have to take the case up, or speak to my union rep.

I know some lads with just college experience go on an improvers wage...but Im 22, I have just served a 4 year apprenticeship, and it just seems strange then going onto this instead of full rate.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me
Jack

In this case Qualifications kinda mean nothing, can you do the work and earn the money? If you're earning the company the same money as the big boys then you should be earning he big boys wages. That's the way I'd see it mate.

thats the issue, id be in a team with another lad halfing the work on one day heatings as far as i know...as long as its legal. i dont mind being an improver for a bt. 6 months i would say is a fair time scale.

However if they're going to drag it out to a year, maybe more. whilst im on reduced rate, doing half the work on 1 day heating systems. Questions have to be asked because it sounds like cheap labour.

So long as its over national minimum wage its legal.

Other than that - if you can get work at higher rates from a different firm, you are free to do that. If your employer recognises your union, then you may have recourse there.

My suggestion is to sit down with your boss and talk it through. He may have reservations about whether you can work unsupervised for example, or on difficult jobs. Perhaps you can negotiate a timescale, and/or schedule reviews?

I certainly wouldn't suggest anything confrontational - there's no shortage of skilled tradesmen looking for work.

Give it a few months then if you really feel like you're pulling your weight the as ray said have a nice chat with the powers that be. When ever I ask for a pay rise I make sure myself that I'm way ahead of the game.

Fair points Ray, I'll ask on the time scale, no if its the done thing i won't go to anyone about it. I certainly wasn't planning confrontation.

I'll use the opportunity to start shining and showing them Im up to scratch. Maybe if i come on well on my own, it could even effect when my wage goes up, who knows. its a bit up in the air at the minute.

Give it a few months then if you really feel like you're pulling your weight the as ray said have a nice chat with the powers that be. When ever I ask for a pay rise I make sure myself that I'm way ahead of the game.

ok mate will do. If i was to ask I'd be fully prepared with a decent case. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumbing improver in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Currently undergoing my level 2, hoping to get finished in the next few weeks. Looking to gain some experience, if anyone needs a mate etc. Im currently in the forces will be leaving in May however at the minute I can work Mondays/Fridays and weekends. Do not want paying just happy...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas hob. Ive noticed that the oven supply 15mm and the hob supply is 15mm but once the cupboard is out i can see the hob supply is 10mm in the wall. Which...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial market (i.e. tendering to main contractors flats etc). My background is a commercial manager, I use to do plumbing years back so technically I would not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock