Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing from the other side of the Channel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plouasne

I'm a new member, first posting, but an old (very old) hand, started plumbing in '58, after the tech school (remember them), worked with some of the big boys, like Taylor Woodrow, Mathew Hall, etc, also worked for myself, before I saw the light, and upped sticks, and moved to France, best move I ever made

The pace of life is slower, 35 or 40 hour week, at least an hour for mid-day meal, if not an hour and a half, and the patron (the boss) pays for the meal if the job is out of the commune where the office is situated, there are workers restaurants come bars all over France which do a mid-day meal for around £8.50, you pay for it put the receipts in with the time sheet at the end of the month, and get repaid with your wages, also you are covered by the firms assurance whilst traveling to and from home to site/yard

The standard of work is miles higher than in the UK (sorry lads, I know having seen both sides), copper pipe is all hard soldered, gas is silver soldered, all water is mains pressure 3 bar minimum (not like the poxy 1 bar minimum in the UK), all buried pipe work whether floor or walls has to be run in a protective "Gaine" 'a corrugated plastic sleeve

All work estimated to be over 150€ MUST HAVE a written estimate, which is signed by the client as good for work, before work starts, any addition or deletion must be agreed in writing, work costing over 3000€ must be paid by cheque, new work or major renovations must be covered by the mandatory 10 year assurance

Nobody can pick up a set of tools and start work as self employed, they must do a weeks training in book-keeping, law, tax returns, etc, and for the first few years have an accountant check their books every month

Black work is frowned on, if you get caught working on the black, the fines can be 35000€ and or 5 years inside, plus repaying the state, what they the tax people, estimate you have fiddled them out of tax, and it can be 5 times the estimated loss just to teach you a lesson, also the client can be found guilty of employing you on the black with equal fines etc

I could go on, and describe the tools needed to do the job in France, they are a bit different from the UK, but will leave it here, apart from describing a normal restaurant meal, its normally a serve yourself starter, cold meats, hard boiled eggs, potato salad, small fish etc, then a hot meal choice of 3 different types of meat, cheese, then the dessert or fresh fruit, ice cream, then coffee, it goes without saying that there is a bottle of red wine 1/4 ltr per person (but who counts the amount ?, just hold out the empty bottle for a refill) water, bread and butter

Normal working hours are 08.00 to 12.30 hrs with no break, then 14.00 to either 17.30 or 18.00 hrs again no break as such, maybe a bottle of beer or two drunk whilst working

Thanks for that buddy!
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow when i'm sat in the van, snatching five minutes to eat my sandwiches lol.

No probs, just to rub salt into the wounds, I took late retirement aged 62 years the French asked me why I kept on working after retirement age (60 years in France), I wanted to get a few years in, in France before retiring on a French pension, 677€ per month for a single person, about £125 a week at todays rate of exchange:)

I couldn't speak French when I first went to France, but picked it up whilst working, did a fair bit of central heating for pigs, keep 'em nice and warm so that they grow faster, also did a bit of agency work, went to one site, foreman there said to me your English don't think that you will do, but the "Patron" was there and heard me speaking, he said yes he's worked for us before so I was in for a month, then the last working day of July, we all went to the bar with the Patron to have a few beers, before the firm shut down for the August holiday, the only bad side is that Christmas day is the only day off, and you work until about 4 pm, then its back to work on the 26, But New Years day is the day, no sleep that night the 31 dec, its party time

I'm a new member, first posting, but an old (very old) hand, started plumbing in '58, after the tech school (remember them), worked with some of the big boys, like Taylor Woodrow, Mathew Hall, etc, also worked for myself, before I saw the light, and upped sticks, and moved to France, best move I ever made

The pace of life is slower, 35 or 40 hour week, at least an hour for mid-day meal, if not an hour and a half, and the patron (the boss) pays for the meal if the job is out of the commune where the office is situated, there are workers restaurants come bars all over France which do a mid-day meal for around £8.50, you pay for it put the receipts in with the time sheet at the end of the month, and get repaid with your wages, also you are covered by the firms assurance whilst traveling to and from home to site/yard

The standard of work is miles higher than in the UK (sorry lads, I know having seen both sides), copper pipe is all hard soldered, gas is silver soldered, all water is mains pressure 3 bar minimum (not like the poxy 1 bar minimum in the UK), all buried pipe work whether floor or walls has to be run in a protective "Gaine" 'a corrugated plastic sleeve

All work estimated to be over 150€ MUST HAVE a written estimate, which is signed by the client as good for work, before work starts, any addition or deletion must be agreed in writing, work costing over 3000€ must be paid by cheque, new work or major renovations must be covered by the mandatory 10 year assurance

Nobody can pick up a set of tools and start work as self employed, they must do a weeks training in book-keeping, law, tax returns, etc, and for the first few years have an accountant check their books every month

Black work is frowned on, if you get caught working on the black, the fines can be 35000€ and or 5 years inside, plus repaying the state, what they the tax people, estimate you have fiddled them out of tax, and it can be 5 times the estimated loss just to teach you a lesson, also the client can be found guilty of employing you on the black with equal fines etc

I could go on, and describe the tools needed to do the job in France, they are a bit different from the UK, but will leave it here, apart from describing a normal restaurant meal, its normally a serve yourself starter, cold meats, hard boiled eggs, potato salad, small fish etc, then a hot meal choice of 3 different types of meat, cheese, then the dessert or fresh fruit, ice cream, then coffee, it goes without saying that there is a bottle of red wine 1/4 ltr per person (but who counts the amount ?, just hold out the empty bottle for a refill) water, bread and butter

Normal working hours are 08.00 to 12.30 hrs with no break, then 14.00 to either 17.30 or 18.00 hrs again no break as such, maybe a bottle of beer or two drunk whilst working
sounds great im on my way

Yeh sounds great,only problem is,you have to work in France,which is not to bad but there is alot of french people in France,no matter how good something sounds,there is always a down side to everything :(

Only kidding,honest :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Puddle,

I made the jump, so did my boys, eldest did an apprenticeship with my company, but not under me, 3 credits and a distinction in plumbing C &G (the new tick the box type, not the 5 hour soft metal, 3 hour hard metal, and 3 hour written paper, like the older ones did), then the French equivalent of the C&G (Certificate d'Apptitude Proffesional) after that another apprenticeship for electrical, that took him up to the age of 22, he did 15 years with the same firm, mostly "sparky" work, but plumbing and heating as well, then he went out as an Artisan, been going for 4 years now got 3 persons working for him, with enough work to see him through to the next year, mostly French clients

My other son started in France when he was 13, went to a Lycee (same as the old tech college's), did a two years apprenticeship then went into heating, hospital work, etc coded welder, then took over the managers job, in one of the smaller branches of a French multinational company

Sounds good,pleased your family is doing so well
I have two lads but they have gone into differant areas
always told them they can fall back on plumbing,if things do'nt work out,but would have been nice for one to follow me into the trade but they seem to think they will do better doing white collar work and they are probably right,just that my father and grand father started out in plumbing

The sad thing about this string is the reflection on the UK, one, by and large, we can relate to at least in part.
We left the UK 8 years ago, and whilst it is not an answer to everything, we would not go back - relatives, countryside and a bit of history aside.
Whilst every country has its own issues and nothing is perfect, the UK felt like there were less and less of the positive sides and more of the negative.
Quality of life is different for everyone, but family and time together felt more important than the latest branded item, life being a rush from Monday to Friday with weekend recovery and the off again. No time to enjoy other than a couple of weeks holiday etc....
I hope France can maintain the work life balance in the new economic world.
Trades need to be professionalised and respected, people need to feel that they get quality work, nice service and value for money - the latter being the hardest to fix. The plumber as an artisan sounds like a good idea, just these days it needs to be the plumber as a professional.
Still these boards seem to suggest it is moving in the right direction.....

Excellent post, very interesting to hear about plumbing in another country

Date at the top of the thread says 08-09-02 to me.

6yja7use.jpg

Well spotted - even puddle was on there ! This could be a whole new section historical posts
all the stuff we have put up can come back to bug us - yes why not
Even if it is over ten years old. ;)

YOU NUGGET SEAN!

Your dates back to front on your ipad! You've got it YMD instead of DMY!

UKPF was born in 2007!

It's this useless tapatalk upgraded pos! It's a step backwards IMHO

Still an old thread resurrection just not as old one first thought. Boohiss

I wonder how Plouasne is doing these days.
His posts were always interesting as they were always about plumbing/life in France which although the basics are the same, is totally alien to me.
If he started his time in 58 (assuming he was 15) he would be 70 this year. I hope he is in (fairly) good health and still sipping the vin.
His last post here was in 2010

I wonder how Plouasne is doing these days.
His posts were always interesting as they were always about plumbing/life in France which although the basics are the same, is totally alien to me.
If he started his time in 58 (assuming he was 15) he would be 70 this year. I hope he is in (fairly) good health and still sipping the vin.
His last post here was in 2010

I think someone said he was seriously ill a couple of years back. I fear he may have passed :(

Plousane was top bloke. Great help for me when I 1st started out. I think he actually got kicked off the forum.

pretty sure he didn't get kicked off. unfortunately i think kay-jay is correct in his assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing from the other side of the Channel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock