Discuss Plumbing electric shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

msec

Hello everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice, I am a self employed sparks and any plumbing work I've got (nothing major) has always been subbied out. However, my regular plumber has retired and to be honest was getting a little expensive as I don't think he actually wanted the work anymore. I've seen him plumb in enough showers for me to be confident of having a go, however I really don't want to miss anything or make any mistakes. My intentions are to tee off the cold under the bath, are there any circumstances where this wouldn't be acceptable? I know to use 15mm pipe (does it have to be copper or can it be plastic?) and that an isolation valve will be required. Any other tips. I'm not a plumber and don't intend to be doing a weeks course and quoting for central heatings etc! (don't get me started on part p!) I'd just like to be able to do this one thing properly and to regs as it would save me a lot of time and hassle.

you need to make sure that the cold to the bath is not tank fed (unless a pumped electric shower), make sure the shower can be isolated and I prefer to use full bore iso valves. Don't see the problem with a part p, providing you know your limitations. I am as competent with running the cables for an electric shower as you are plumbing an electric shower in. However, quoting for a re-wire of a house, no thanks....

Copper or plastic is good, remember that you need to protect copper if not surfaced mounted.

Hi, thanks for the info, any foolproof way to tell if the bath is tank fed? Like I said the last thing I want is to make a stupid mistake. The main thing I was worried about was getting insufficient water flow from the showerhead for whatever reason.

Regarding part p, my sentiments exactly, the problem is the people who think 'that was easier than I thought' and then don't know their limitations (or refuse to accept them)

Turn on the bath tap and turn off the mains. If its mains it will stop straight away. If tank fed will take a few minutes or moew.

Cheers, I'll definatly check the supply to the bath. What are my best options if it is tank fed? Like I said, I'm not a plumber so don't want to be making uninformed decesions or trying anything other than the most basic option.

Check if the supply to the washbasin is mains ?? Probably is provided the property is not that old. Would you want to clean your teeth with water in a cistern instead of mains ??

I had assumed that if the bath was tank fed then the washbasin would also be? Is this not necessarily the case? To be honest if it had to be done with pipework on display (ie not hidden behaind a bath panel!) then I would probably get someone in.

No expert but 5 out of the five bathrooms I have had involvement with have been mains cold to washbasin for teeth cleaning etc and tank fed, and therefore, non potable water to the bath.

I have installed 3 electric showers in the past and each have been supplied by dropping a mains feed from the loft as it has been neater than coming from wash basin.

You could drop a mains fed pipe on the surface in chrome if that was acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropping a mains from the loft could be an option in future. How would you tell which was the mains pipe? I have seen the chrome pipework before when it is on display, it looks ok but most of the time they have been fed from under the bath and that is always how my plumber did it. I don't think I ever remember him making any checks on how the bath was fed, though I suppose he may be able to tell by the pipework??

The main supply will be the pipe feeding the valve at the top of the cistern. So just follow it. Obviously the tank fed one will come out of the bottom of the cistern.

On two of the showers I concealed the pipes and on one, where the wall was already tiled, I used a chrome pipe on the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing electric shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock