Discuss Plumbing Apprentice advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevdev

Hi there,

I'm a South African currently doing my plumbing course back home and in order to qualify I need to do a 2 year apprentice. I was thinking of coming over to the UK as I think it will benefit me in the long run and earn great experience, compared to doing it back home. My goal is to have my own plumbing company in the UK in the future, considering I have to start at the bottom which of course is expected with anything.

Would it be difficult for me to find someone to take me on considering the effects of the recession and me being a foreigner?

If you guys could give me some advice, would much appreciate it.

Steve

In a word, yes. It would be difficult. And you can find out yourself without leaving your front door. Look up companies in the area you'd like to live and contact them all and ask. Nobody can know how lucky or unlucky you'll be but we can say with certainty that you'll need to be lucky to get anywhere.

There are plenty of threads on this matter but all of them are giving the same sort of response as you've already had. Training centres over here seem to be giving the impression that the paths to plumbing and heating are paved with gold. Truth is the market is becoming saturated (to coin a phrase!) and even established plumbers are finding it hard. Having said that, best of luck mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Apprentice advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back