Discuss Plumber left filling loop on!! is it safe? need help please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mong187

Hi
My boiler packed up(would not fire up and gave an error code) last week (3 weeks after annual gas safety check) :thinking: when i looked at it the pressure was on 0 and have heard a lot of boilers will not even attempt to fire up if the pressure is wrong.

so after a bit of research online and watching a few vids on youtube i felt it was something i could do myself without danger and maybe save a day off work for a 5 min job.

so i went a brought a filling loop and tryed to re-pressurize the system, which was not hard at all.

only problem was it did not fix the problem and still would not fire up even when the pressure was up just over 1 bar.

oh well end of DIY and called my housing to get plumber/gas man round.

He came Thursday while i was at work (GF stayed home) and said he needed a part to fix it so left and we are still waiting for the part to come in.

Basiclly last night it crossed my mind to make sure it was all switched off in the mean time while we wait for the part.

what i found was the filling loop(that i had brought and left by the boiler) was still ON (see attach pics of how i found it), the cold water tap(Black nob behind filling loop on the right) open and the pressure gauge up at over 3 bar!!

I remebered in one of the vidoes i watched about topping up the system that the plumber on about 4 different occasions stressed it was a legal requirment to NOT leave the filling loop ON.

this got me quite concerned as to if there could be any danger having the system left like this.

From what i can see it may damage the boiler due to high pressure, but more worring is that it can also allow the water from the central heating system in to the drinking water thus contaminating the drinking water with god knows what!!

so my question is what should i be doing now?

Getting the guy back round as an emergency to dissconnect and make safe?

also how can we tell if the drinking water may have been contaminated, is there some kind of test or something.

i will be making a compliant to the housing regarding this but just want some advice, because i am sure the plumber will try to say " its alright as long as the systems off" or some crap but i am very concerned by the possibility my water may not be safe to drink..

are there any other issuse surrounding this i should be aware of?

thanks in advance.

photo.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks high pressure to me even if its not gas related dont play just call them ask for plumber to come sort it out now take pics and guys name that left it like that.

you could dump the
pressure close it off then leave it but if you play with it and something gos peat tong your in the dog house

Filling loop shouldn't be left on but it's not the end of the world. It hasn't brought your ceilings down. So don't panic.

Just disconnect filling loop. Find a drain valve on heating system and open it a little to relieve some pressure. If no drain valve then call a plumber if not confident enough to undo a joint on radiator valve and let some water out that way

The filling loop has a check valve ( one way valve ) so your drinking water should be ok, unlikely it will have been contaminated !

The filling loop has a check valve ( one way valve ) so your drinking water should be ok, unlikely it will have been contaminated !
looks to me like the filling loop the op bought doesn't have a nrv, have a look at the picture.

The op really should not be playing with, fitting his own parts to a boiler owned by his Housing Association.

op please go to sleep and pray that no one from HA will find out that you are playing with there boiler !!!

tbh you could be evicted should they find out !!!

was on a job and I was to install a new boiler , tenant made big fuss that flue had to run for about 5m before goes out and local HA officer sent them letter next they to calm down or to pack up !!!

That's a linea. To fill you need to turn the black lever on the right so it faces down, its pointing to on position so bloke could not of left it on. Or am I being stupid

That's a linea. To fill you need to turn the black lever on the right so it faces down, its pointing to on position so bloke could not of left it on. Or am I being stupid
No you're not being stupid mate, I suspect the plate to plate is passing water to the system, which isn't uncommon, or the vessel needs pumping up.

The op really should not be playing with, fitting his own parts to a boiler owned by his Housing Association.

sorry m8, what parts was i fitting to to a boiler?????
i topped up the pressure and removed the filling loop, i didnt fix the problem so i called in a plumber, if you didnt read the whole post that is how HE left it.
also i dont think topping up the pressure is some thing that cant be done by anyone but a trained pro?

thats correct but i dont see how the postion of a lever can make you think that he didnt leave it as shown in the pic.
the pic shows EXACTLY how HE left it..

op please go to sleep and pray that no one from HA will find out that you are playing with there boiler !!!

tbh you could be evicted should they find out !!!

was on a job and I was to install a new boiler , tenant made big fuss that flue had to run for about 5m before goes out and local HA officer sent them letter next they to calm down or to pack up !!!

sorry what??? topping up the presurre is PLAYING with a boiler???

i dont have endless time off work to take a day off for what is a very basic and simple 5 min thing to do!
it didnt help so called in plumber!
wow guess it was a bit stupid of me to think i might get some help here, you lot seemed more concerned that i touched the boiler than how it was left by a pro plumber in clear breach of water regs!!
which could cause god know what if the drinking water has been contaminated.
As for getting evicted! whatever!

It's time to call a GSR in. Your boiler has an issue – the pressure shouldn’t go more than 3bar.

So if that's how he left it, it can't be his fault. As said before either plate hex passing or exo vessel needs recharging or new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber left filling loop on!! is it safe? need help please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
R
Hi, We‘be recently moved into a property with a very old Potterton statesman. My husband bled the radiators last night…and since then he’s called...
Replies
Views
I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any idea why the pressure keeps going up on my combi boiler? I have a Vaillant Ectotec Plus about 15 years old. The heating has been off all...
Replies
Views
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install...
Replies
Views
Back