Currently reading:
Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands

Discuss Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shaun_sdw

Hi guys I'm just wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice please .
i do apologise if I'm in the wrong section

i won't go into to much detail including company names etc but I feel that I'm getting something fitted that's costing a few thousand pounds and its going to turn into a total headache , it started off really bad and has seemed to get worse throughout the day

I'll list a few issues so far after day one of the installation from today ( they are coming back tomorrow )
info is a conversion from a old back boiler to a new combi boiler .
this is day one but I'll keep it updated

ok here we go

1) fitters didn't turn off the water but started to drain the system , resulting in all of the radiators up stairs to disperse water all over my bedroom floors and eventually through into the living room .:dead:

2) I find out the boiler they have pretty much fitted is totally different to the one that was ordered , I don't claim to know what is good or not but what I was expecting was a vokera vision c30 and when they have started to install is a alpha Eco boiler !!
Any advice on what is better ???

3) the boiler flue is coming out directly through the vertical brick window lintel !! Should this happen ? The window does not open for your info but the flue is very close to the double glaring panel .

it was going to be a one day job but because of what is going on the guys finished early as I'm awaiting to speak to the manager of the company tomorrow . Hopefully they will be back tomorrow to finish the job , or maybe not :)

Going back a bit, they did remove the backboiler didnt they? its not still connected to the heating system is it?

That old cast iron heat exchanger wont cope with a pressurised system if it is still attached

Kris I know the case you are talking about, it was in gas safe mag a few months ago,
however in this case to open the window you'd have to move the boiler out of the way
the back boiler was removed. The system is not up and running and has been turned off as it's not safe

Of course it is , you cant jail someone for abiding by the law thats ridiculous, you put the flue outside regs state away from an openable window, if its not openable then your abiding by the regs ,
If someone changes that windo in the future then under no circumstances can the original installer be blamed it just wouldnt stand up in a court of law, there must be something more to the case your on about lame surely,

Correct me if Im wrong but in that case the installer screwed an openable window shut, which was later opened

Or new windows were fitted some time after which could be opened, wasn`t it a hotel or B+B?

Or new windows were fitted some time after which could be opened, wasn`t it a hotel or B+B?

If it is the one I'm thinking of it was a hotel in Newquay? I think they used a vertical flue terminal on the side of the building under a window that they screwed shut from the outside, because the hotel couldn't get rid of the steam in the bathroom they had the window changed so it could open.

So it wasn't just 1 fault it was a few.

This is still ongoing and I'm still without hot water or heating , looks like its going legal , gas safe earliest appointment is Tuesday coming , after they have been I'm paying someone else to supplier a new boiler and rectify all of the damage done and I will take the company who fitted this shambles through the legal system .

as nothing was being sorted I gave them two options
1) that I would purchase the boiler and thermostats fitted from them at an agreed price but I would pay them for no labour and they could walk away from the job , I will pay for someone to rectify the work , the wall the lintel etc , I thought I was being more than fair as I just wanted it finalised , they then wouldn't have to do anything else other than take a payment off me for the supply of goods only .
or

2) I take them to court and will seek damages , another company will remove their thermostats and boiler , package it all up and return it to them, the new company will be fitting the new system including all fixtures and fittings

They refused both options and decided they wanted to now complete the work ASAP .

Unfortunately because of all of the hassle and lies I've had from the origonal company ,I have now refused them to touch anything in my house again, They keep quoting me that its illegal for me to now refuse entry to rectify the issues due to the sales of goods and service act of 1982 but as far as I am aware they are in so many breaches of contract they won't have a leg to stand on .
they have poor workmanship , dangerous fittings , illegal flue positions , lied to me , tried to rob me of parts they should have fitted , effectively stole my old copper boiler (didn't ask if it was ok to take ) they just assumed and took it plus more things including , not actually ordering the boiler that I ordered and actually fitted a cheaper system but expected to still charge me the same amount .

gas safe is out on Tuesday and then as soon as they have been I'm contacting a socolisitor .

Last edited by a moderator:
mmmm. This one is an absolute nightmare for you.

I just hope you don't feel we're all like that.

mmmm. This one is an absolute nightmare for you.

I just hope you don't feel we're all like that.
Not at all , just you ;) , honestly though thanks for all of the help from you and the forum guys and girls ,if any are girls :p

There are a few girls on here but they tend to hide under funny names.
Opps! hope I don`t start something here.

Not at all , just you ;) , honestly though thanks for all of the help from you and the forum guys and girls ,if any are girls :p

Lol that's fair enough I suppose. APP fit's the forum girl description so we're covered there.

Seriously though, if you need one of us to come and quote for you don't be afraid to ask. I can assure you none of on here would carry out this low degree of work. Purely because it would get beck to us and he would be torn to shreds......

Lol that's fair enough I suppose. APP fit's the forum girl description so we're covered there.

Seriously though, if you need one of us to come and quote for you don't be afraid to ask. I can assure you none of on here would carry out this low degree of work. Purely because it would get beck to us and he would be torn to shreds......

Now now croppie it`s rude to name names lol

Hi there bud this will be one experience you will never forget like croppie said not all plumbers are like this I know you will get the result you want and deserve all the very best ..brum

Ah you luv it really don`t ya?
You still on gardening leave?

effectively stole my old copper boiler (didn't ask if it was ok to take ) they just assumed and took it .

They have a legal obligation to take it as it becomes trade waste once removed.

Hopefully Gas Safe will actually prove effective and help sort this one out. I think you're well within your rights to refuse the original company entry. Dare I suggest you name and shame them!

Hopefully Gas Safe will actually prove effective and help sort this one out. I think you're well within your rights to refuse the original company entry. Dare I suggest you name and shame them!

Serious? Or sarcasm :) What about the rest of the waste they left in my garden then? Old fire, back boiler, cuttings of pipe etc...?
i hope gassafe help .

Serious? Or sarcasm :) What about the rest of the waste they left in my garden then? Old fire, back boiler, cuttings of pipe etc...?
i hope gassafe help .

It depends what is in their t&cs, which they should of provided a copy of. Some people remove, others don't. I personally prefer to remove as feel it looks better, but I'm lucky and keep a couple of skips on a farm.

I don't think I've ever seen such bad work in all my life as the photo's on this thread. I hope you get it all sorted out.

i hope gassafe help .

Yeah that was serious, I don't think t&c stating it's the homeowners responsibility to remove waste gets an installer out of this. (Im prepared to be proven wrong!) If they've left the rest of the stuff it's a moot point and possibly something to get the council involved with to create more hassle for them.

Nice one will quote that next time im asked what for why you took all the copper Its trade waste sir and I have a duty to recycle it to try and do my bit to keep our world more sustainable for our future generations.I wont mention pocket stuffed full of £20 notes ..that's just a bonus..brum

i hope gassafe help .

in all honesty if your taking the cream to scrappies its only cricket to clear site of ALL rubbish and leave site as you would like to find it.This is someones home and it should be respected in this way..brum

Your right that I have not paid a penny yet so it doesn't seem too bad .
however I have been without heating or hot water now for three full weeks .

i would gladly swap positions and have it all fitted as it should have along with paying the whole bill :)
Tuesday coming 9:30am when gassafe will attend and then I can get the work rectified after that .

no one will touch it until gassafe has inspected it .

I think we can all guess what the Gas Safe Inspector will say, something along the lines of "the boiler is not correctly secured to the wall, the flue termination is not to manufacturer instructions etc etc", from a practical point of view though he will probably say rip it off and start again. Reading between the lines I would bet the installer is a subby who has had the arse ripped out of his rates and is rushing and making catastrophic mistakes in an effort to make a living, Sad though hopefully Gas Safe will have a word and stop this happening to someone else

Your right that I have not paid a penny yet so it doesn't seem too bad .
however I have been without heating or hot water now for three full weeks .

i would gladly swap positions and have it all fitted as it should have along with paying the whole bill :)
Tuesday coming 9:30am when gassafe will attend and then I can get the work rectified after that .

no one will touch it until gassafe has inspected it .

of course you would have been happier if it had all been done correctly from the start but you would be in a worse position if you had paid up front and have the disaster you have got
im not defending the company that did this i hope gas safe condem the lot allowing you to get the job done correctly with out any loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back