Discuss Plastic pipe on full installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bikerbas

who uses plastice pipes when doing central heating installs,im working with a few plumbers and they only use copper were you can see it everything else is plastic.

Nelly and hamish

I understand why this seems unusual-plastic pipe/corrosion

the only reason I can give is they've not used barrier plastic, it's the only reason I can think of having seen so many of these systems, they are mostly potterton puma boilers and the wax capsules always fail eventually.

Anyone else who more clued up on the exact chemical reactions etc with the system with water/oxygen/metals/plastic may be able to explain it better

all I know is if the ch pipework is fitted in plastic (in the area I work) then the ch water is gona be as black tar, I just take it as given now. Magna protection prevents this

Nelly and hamish

I understand why this seems unusual-plastic pipe/corrosion

the only reason I can give is they've not used barrier plastic, it's the only reason I can think of having seen so many of these systems, they are mostly potterton puma boilers and the wax capsules always fail eventually.

Anyone else who more clued up on the exact chemical reactions etc with the system with water/oxygen/metals/plastic may be able to explain it better

all I know is if the ch pipework is fitted in plastic (in the area I work) then the ch water is gona be as black tar, I just take it as given now. Magna protection prevents this

Whenever i use plastic i always use barrier pipe and the best fittings and never had any problems. But its true copper is much more proffessional and looks like you have actually been working once fitted.!!!;)

As I understand it if its Non Barrier it will allow oxygen through the pipe wall which is then entrained as free oxygen in the water . Oxygen + iron (rads) = the dreaded !!
Lots of systems our way blocked solid !! Barrier pipe no problems .
And from our experience inhibitor made no difference

As I understand it if its Non Barrier it will allow oxygen through the pipe wall which is then entrained as free oxygen in the water . Oxygen + iron (rads) = the dreaded !!
Lots of systems our way blocked solid !! Barrier pipe no problems .
And from our experience inhibitor made no difference

this is what I've always been told, I was never 100% on it though, but I can't see anything else that could cause it.

In addition to my gibberings about my experience with plastic..

The Black plastic tubing I used in my first install all those years ago was only a single layer tubing no special multi layers, so no oxygen barrier , but then had no problems either.

Originally driven by a Parkray solid fuel, with no controls .. on windy days you could make horsehoes in it ! LOL. and later with a Thorn Housewarmer
( being replaced this month).

The First few metres of pipe was imperial size Copper to the Tank/pump etc..and the rest was brass manifolds ferrules plastic pipe etc.

Over the years the amount of debris/sludge that appeared in the system
has been negligable.

And for many years it ran on plain water with no additives.

Only when I recently changed the piping as mentioned before, I did a chemical flush and to be honest it wasn't worth the cost of the flushing agent, so little muck appeared.

I'm off :eek:

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
All the new house builds & refurbs i go on all use plastic to carcass out htg & supplies, to alot of folk its the norm now.Plumbers also dont want bundles of copper tube lying around waiting to be nicked.Its all about costs these days & using plastic seems to be more cost effective.

plastic is easy to use/ bend just the joints are so bulky but in combination wth copper can save shedloads of time just remember those inserts or its niagra time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic pipe on full installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back