Discuss Plasterboard in builders opening ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOD

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I removed a wall mounted radiant fire today while doing a landlords safety insp.
The builders opening had been made smaller to fit the closure plate by using bricks up both sides but it just had plasterboard across the top. - (giving a plasterboard only covering of about 2' wide by 1 1/2' high).

I put this down as AR but would appreciate any advice from the more experienced than myself.

thanks blod

i would class as ar as its combustible,do you mean its stuck to the top of the opening?

It's difficult to describe but if you're looking straight at the bldrs opening, there is a column of bricks up either side almost to the top but not quite, plasterboard has been used to cover from the top of the bldrs opening down to the top of the closure plate.

Combustible - yes, but some plasterboards are fire rated although I don't know how you could check this.
I was thinking also that condensation / moisture could seriously affect the plasterboard causing it to decay over time allowing products into the room ?

your right it could well collapse over time a picture might have explained things a bit clearer but we dont go to work with cameras are you saying the entire opening is plasterboard with the bricks inside the opening reducing its size?

The bricks up the sides are just at the front (sorry my description wasn't good) reducing the width. The plasterboard is at the top, reducing the height and all this is wallpapered over, catchment space behind all this is ok.

Clearly a bodge job by someone!

If the plaster board is on the wall and not in the builders opening this could be ok as long as there is no gap betwean the plasterboard and the brick of the chimney wall so fumes cannot go up behind the plasterboard..... I take it the closure plate is stuck to the plasterboard?

Maybe you could upload a paintpad sketch to give a better picture of what you are describing.
As gbgas mentioned as long as the plasterboard is on outside of builders opening fully sealed and the clossure plate can be sealed to this ok then I do not think it is a major issue.
If the plasterboard is inside the opening then it is a no no.

plasterboard is classed as 1/2hr fire rating in scotland, so i would check it was well fitted and sealed and if so i would accept it as ok

Thanks to all for the replies,
The plasterboard was the only thing separating the bldrs opening from the living room (an area of approx 60cm x 45cm) nothing behind it at all so not sealed from poc.

Customer told me today that the last two landlords inspections were fine & were done by the company that had adapted the fireplace & fitted the fire.

plasterboard doesnt burn and as kirky says its got a basic 1/2 hr fire rating normally for 12.5 mm board. If its sealed and theres no risk of leakage wheres the issue, timber framed houes have false fireplaces made up of board with flue boxes/ss flues leading off them and you dont go around giving out ar or id assessment on these do you?

plasterboard doesnt burn and as kirky says its got a basic 1/2 hr fire rating normally for 12.5 mm board. If its sealed and theres no risk of leakage wheres the issue, timber framed houes have false fireplaces made up of board with flue boxes/ss flues leading off them and you dont go around giving out ar or id assessment on these do you?

its plaster board ffs a crap job it has half hour fire resistance so what it will get bloody hot with a fire against it,i fit on average a fire per week with a mantel set be modern for example insist you fully brick around the opening tight to the marble or it will and does crack if can happen to marble what chance does a flimsy piece of plasterboard have

Last edited by a moderator:
its plaster board ffs a crap job it has half hour fire resistance so what it will get bloody hot with a fire against it

properly fitted, and sealed it isnt a crap job, it is a different job to brickwork and plasterwork, yes its quicker to get the fire in as you dont need to wait on the plaster setting but that aint a bad thing, so what if it gets hot it wont burn, you can have wall paper down the back of a fire with no problem,

yes but i think the op has just plasterboard thats his issue

HI, first post,but would like to jump in here,as it's gone quiet, i understand both views, bricked, or plasterboard, both legal, but, what would you rather have,it was your/ house, or your childrens, or any family you know?, sooner have it done with brick?, its permanent, plasterboard ok, but not for me.

Thanks.

i think this is a tricky one, but if i understand it correctly, and the plasterboard has been used to bridge a gap than i'd have to say personaly id put it down as ar simpley because id be concerned about products of combustion entering the room, its a tricky one without being able to see it. agreed wouldnt fancey it in my place thats 4sure.

Any part of a chimney/flue must be constructed of suitable material. Plasterboard, celcon blocks (Light wieght blocks) ect; are not suitable. AT RISK is the correct diagnosis if you see it.

Any part of a chimney/flue must be constructed of suitable material. Plasterboard, celcon blocks (Light wieght blocks) ect; are not suitable. AT RISK is the correct diagnosis if you see it.

thanks RM that was my point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plasterboard in builders opening ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views
K
Hi Guys n Gals, I saw a floorstanding radiant fire today (with my engineer), the fires only means of support was obviously its legs, the gas pipe...
Replies
Views
gasmarc
G
A
Hello all - just registered hoping someone can help me with a bit of a quandary. I'm not a tradesman nor do I wish to DIY anything connected with...
Replies
Views
kirkgas
K
M
I'm Gas Safe registered, and I have had many years of completing successful boiler installations, although my ACS boiler ticket expired last year...
Replies
Views
oldplumber
O
Can anyone tell me what the rules are for access to flues, and when these rules came into force? I saw a flue yesterday which runs...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back