Search the forum,

Discuss People do funny things in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Neighbour came over to me asking did I have a new junior hacksaw blade.
No problem, I give him a saw blade. He then said it was for his faulty all metal toilet syphon (over 60 years old) and he is going to try and repair it. I asked him if he was sure and he said he was going to try it.
Shortly he walked over to me with part of the syphon he had sawed off :smile: image.jpg

Nice one!
A mate of mine once cut down a plastic ball valve float to get it in a wc cistern. Then wondered why it wouldn't stop filling!

Nice one!
A mate of mine once cut down a plastic ball valve float to get it in a wc cistern. Then wondered why it wouldn't stop filling!

Ha, that put a much needed smile on my face

Neighbour came over to me asking did I have a new junior hacksaw blade.
No problem, I give him a saw blade. He then said it was for his faulty all metal toilet syphon (over 60 years old) and he is going to try and repair it. I asked him if he was sure and he said he was going to try it.
Shortly he walked over to me with part of the syphon he had sawed off :smile:View attachment 26679

Did he explain his thinking behind this alteration? I'd enjoy hearing it.

Did he explain his thinking behind this alteration? I'd enjoy hearing it.

Yes, he gave me a sort of answer to what he was attempting.
He is a bit of an engineer type, - smart in many ways and daft in many ways. :smile:
What he was doing was removing it so to take the shaft out and use filler on the body, that had worn a hole in it where shaft comes through, due to 60+ years of wear and tear. (Filler can't be seen on photo)
But instead of having entire syphon removed by slackening the nut holding the syphon below the low level cistern, - he turned it into a 2 part syphon by cutting it with a hacksaw.
I just had to slacken the nuts and remove the remaining bit and replaced it all with a modern basic syphon.

Last edited:
Love the fact that 60 yrs on it developed a hole in the body before the mechanism failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to People do funny things in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Neighbours complained to their landlord about the habitual drilling and grinding noises due to "building noise" at my house and he contacted me. Very polite as usual, unlike my neighbours who have been blanking me (and who also blanked my mother when she saw them out the front and wished them...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a little problem or a question if all you experienced people can put me straight please? I am just a bit surprised - I had a call out for a plumbing job - in London - the flat is rented out. The kitchen sink was blocked. I called out one company, they did not fix it, and that was £95...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock