Discuss Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Connor says above, it's simple. The terminal comes with full instructions and Cardsave have a helpline to get you started.

PLEASE GUYS, KEEP YOUR TERMINALS WELL HIDDEN WHEN IN THE VAN AND NOT IN USE!!!!!!!!

But if it got nicked what can a thief do with it??

how do we sign up for the forum discount? I want one!

Last edited:
Who's cage did you rattle Colin? Cardsave suddenly want to speak to me about a new card machine..

This thread made me investigate getting mobile card machines for all our delivery vans.

I'm a bit narked, because my card provider wants ÂŁ1.68 more per month than the deal that system3 did for forum members. Still trying to beat the robbing toads down.

System3 - if you ever get fed up with installation, I have a job for you in our buying department. :)

This thread made me investigate getting mobile card machines for all our delivery vans.

I'm a bit narked, because my card provider wants ÂŁ1.68 more per month than the deal that system3 did for forum members. Still trying to beat the robbing toads down.

System3 - if you ever get fed up with installation, I have a job for you in our buying department. :)
Only problem is that your trade counter would suddenly find itself no longer selling flexies. LOL

Only problem is that your trade counter would suddenly find itself no longer selling flexies. LOL

This is going to make you wince System3...

Just put my stats geek head on, and checked our sales of flexis. Laid end to end, they would stretch from where I am sitting in Portmouth, up the A3, past Petersfield, on past the Liphook round-about, through the Hindhead tunnel and by Christmas, they would reach Guildford.

Now, which is sadder? All those flexis, or that I am spending my Friday night working it out?

Washing machine hoses are are a kind of flexi-- comments please
They are and washing machine manufacturers recommend that they are changed every 5 years, so where does that leave flexible hoses then? LOL

Well, met the reps today and signed up! Quite excited about being able to offer card payments, it should save a bit of admin time chasing invoices, too..

Thanks again for sorting out the discount, System3!

How much does the card system cost, ie The cost of machine (do you buy it or rent it?). Quarterly charges etc. Thanks. By the way only people that I have had elastic cheques from have all been builders, so I dont contract to builders anymore!

How much does the card system cost, ie The cost of machine (do you buy it or rent it?). Quarterly charges etc. Thanks. By the way only people that I have had elastic cheques from have all been builders, so I dont contract to builders anymore!
If you're interested in the forum discount, PM me your full contact details and I'll get Cardsave to contact you.

My machine arrived yesterday so I'm all set. Looks fairly straightforward, just need to get some customers to pay now.

going to continue following this thread if people continue to post there experiences. dont think i am at the stage of card machine yet but i do want one. next few months i guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started using mine today,put three transactions through absolute doddle funnily enough I think it gives off a more professional air to your business.With the amount of cheques I used to bank I can just visualize the diesel saving running to and fro banking, that and the cracking forum deal which brings in every transaction cheaper than banking a cheque. For me its total convenience and clears funds into my account quicker.

The facility to take card payments over the phone is a big bonus too. Although it's straight forward, contact the Cardsave helpline and they'll talk you through it.

Don that cost more though. Card not present ?
It is higher risk though. We won't take card not present payments unless we know the cardholder personally. Probably a small risk if you have actually worked at the address, but dangerous if you are selling high value items to unknown customers.

I agree Ray, card holder not present has a higher risk if you are dealing with a stranger. However, if you know the person and did work for them at their home, then it can be a convenient method of getting paid.

Well I could tell you about the letter that Bod posted to me last week addressed to "Scotlands sexiest Plumber", but I won't.

Oh what a shame, too late. :prrr:

I wanted to do this as I operate in a rural area and I thought that the monthly fee was cheaper in time and fuel than one 18 mile round trip to my bank.

Bad experience for me I am afraid. I spoke to the Cardsave Sales rep, it sounded good and I had a contract emailed to me. Contract was in my business name, wrong address and had details of two people I had not heard of as Directors. Not the best of starts!

Rang to ask what had happened. Apparently despite me providing my full details, they had cut and paste the address and Directors details from the Companies House website - problem is - wrong company. The person I spoke to apologised and blamed it on someone who processes forms. He asked if I simply wanted to cancel. I must say that I lost confidence at that stage and decided to not proceed.

I know it is a simple error, but I will need some convincing I they are going to start handling payments for me.

Sorry to be negative as I am sure many if you are more than happy. Perhaps someone can feed this back to Cardsafe. If they had not got this wrong I would now be waiting for my new terminal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's a really bad experience to have right at the start - did you speak to a manager about what had happened?

It's a serious human error, but then people do have bad days, however, it seems their systems are not picking up such mistakes.

If it was me, I would ring the company and ask how such an error got past the gate-keeping that you would expect them to have in place to stop things like this happening - if I didn't get a satisfactory answer I would ask to speak to a more senior manager.

If there's a hole in their systems that needs plugging, maybe they could convince you that they have learned from the mistake and persuade you to give them another go.

In the event that they don't seem bothered about getting their systems right, then you would be well advised to go elsewhere.

In the current market situation being able to offer credit card/ and other plastic facilities has got to be good for your business, so don't allow their loss to become your loss too by not looking into other companies offering similar services.

Good advice, I was steaming when it happened, but I will make contact as it does seem like a good deal, and at the end of the day if it makes my business more efficient then I would be foolish to ignore it because of a silly mistake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Piped team leave contact for a few days and I'll contact them to find out what the hell happened. I'll get them to contact you direct with a reply.

My machine was waiting for me when I got home this lunch time. I'll have a good read about it tonight when I get home. :)

Big thankyou to system3 (colin). Cheers.

Last edited:
2.75% does sound a lot!

Should be less than that for credit cards and hardly anything for debit cards.

World pay are doing a card reader now as well using mobile phone type technology, free reader 65p debit, 3.3% credit card. Credit card is steep but you can always go halves on it with customer I suppose, say 2% charge for using it. I liked the sound of it as its no contract or standing charges so if you don't use it for 6 months its no bother.

Last edited:
Also it's a proper card machine not some dodgy looking skimming device stuck in the en of your phone

I applied for the Worldpay pilot scheme that gives you the free terminal, yesterday, I'm hoping to receive everything within a couple of weeks.

It was the no monthly charge, the free terminal and the low debit card charge that did it for me.

I think it's ideal for those that are unsure and want to test it out without any upfront costs or commitments. Perfectly ideal if you're only going to have a low card turnover, so will be cheaper.

I just hope they don't slap a big charge on it after the pilot ends.

There's an advert in the Gas Installer magazine for this, towards the end.

World pay are doing a card reader now as well using mobile phone type technology, free reader 65p debit, 3.3% credit card. Credit card is steep but you can always go halves on it with customer I suppose, say 2% charge for using it. I liked the sound of it as its no contract or standing charges so if you don't use it for 6 months its no bother.

Also it's a proper card machine not some dodgy looking skimming device stuck in the en of your phone

What ever you think works for you. I know what works for me. If you'd rather have rental charges & a merchant account (which you don't need with iZettle) that's up to you. I like it all free of charge!

2.75% does sound a lot!

Should be less than that for credit cards and hardly anything for debit cards.

ÂŁ27.50 for ÂŁ1000 a lot? Time away from work to put cheque in bank, fuel costs to & from the bank, bounced cheque after 5 days then chase payment. I'd rather pay the 2.75% or at least split it with the customer

I applied for the Worldpay pilot scheme that gives you the free terminal, yesterday, I'm hoping to receive everything within a couple of weeks.

It was the no monthly charge, the free terminal and the low debit card charge that did it for me.

I think it's ideal for those that are unsure and want to test it out without any upfront costs or commitments. Perfectly ideal if you're only going to have a low card turnover, so will be cheaper.

I just hope they don't slap a big charge on it after the pilot ends.

There's an advert in the Gas Installer magazine for this, towards the end.

did same yesterday, will see.

Me too, if card payments prove successful you can always swap to a rental contract.

worldpay is also completely free bubblecraft

Last edited:
I guess its good for big company not sole traders as it might encourage fraud

Just had an email from Dan about credit card machines now being advertised here. I use iZettle. Have been for a while. Better than any company out there & no monthly fees. Machine is free (well ÂŁ20 & you get that back) & plugs directly into your mobile phone. 2.75% per transaction.

Check them out.
www.izettle.com
iZettle - Payments Made Easy - YouTube
iZettle - Payments On The Go - YouTube

Bubblecraft, how do your clients react to a Visa payment on that system, which looks a little clumsy? Are they generally confident, reluctant..?

I have done it through my bank, you get a portable machine, also paypal payments i except
it goes both ways customer has no need to have cash in the house even in emergency and i am not carrying sums of cash round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
J
Replies
Views
Hi, moved into a home a year ago with what is probably an old heating system. There is a gas boiler linking to radiator central heating, and a...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Back