Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Outside tap has suddently stopped working (pic enclosed)? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markmorgan10

Hi I have a cold water tap that is on the outside wall of my house. It used to work fine and now has stopped working.
taps.jpg

At
taps.jpg picture by markmorgan10 - Photobucket
there is a picture of the plumbing from the inside of the house (in the kitchen). The tube under point 'e' leads to the outside tap (which doesnt work now).
I thought 'c' was a tap, but I cannot move it.
I've tried moving taps 'a' and 'b' but however I fix them, the outside tap still doesn't work.
'd' is a pipe which leads to a dishwasher, I've just marked it for clarity - I don't think this affects anything - but could be wrong.
Any good plumbers (amateur or professional) - your advice would be really appreciated here. To me it looks like the blue tube leads to the outside tap - but I've tried moving tap b so many times and nothing happens.
thanks in advance.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be double check valve inside tap. Replace tap with double check valve tap.

really i would get a plumber in to do the job correctly and to the relevant regulations

So its nothing to do with inside (and the fault isn't in the picture I took) ??
guess you learn something new every day :)

The best taps to fit are the standard ones WITHOUT the inbuilt double check valve as the DCV is easily damaged in cold weather. Fit a separate DCV on the supply pipe inside your property.

The price for the tap in your link is extortionate.

As a price comparison for your tap go here:
Conex - Primaflow - Crosco Bib Tap Check Valve

Get a plumber in to change it, you'll save money in the long run as well as getting a warranty from him.

hmm - i havent ordered that tap yet - but just don't want to be charged an extortionate amount. Im based in South London. How much roughly should this cost ?
thanks for the price comparison link as well.

Mark, looking at that mess in your photo, I'd get the whole lot ripped out and redone....properly! Valve "B" and valve "A" are self cutting valves and are on sale in diy stores. They really are rubbish.

The valve when installed, cuts a small 8mm hole into the 15mm pipework with a steel cutter. Through time the diameter of this hole gets less and less until non existent. Furthermore the use of this type of installation will invalidate the warranty on your pressure washer and can damage the pump. Pressure washer manufacturers state that a connection should be made to a mains supply and be 15mm minimum. Those valves should be ripped out and replaced with 15mm tee pieces and full bore isolating valves.

i hate these stupid self cutting things, OK for washing machines, not for outside taps. B&POO dont help either encouraging people to install them this way, ITS NOT CORRECT !!!!!!

is it a gate valve on the main? :rolleyes4: sorry, but i would just say what guys already did, get a plumber (good plumber) to change whats on picture.

Its a diy(destroy it yourself) kit.I agree with above get plumber in to fix it and tidy that pipework up

Think you would be better of getting this mess replaced, `B` looks to be for O/S Tap, red gate valve not connected to anything, but not men't to be on mains pressure. Is that an electric socket below all those pipes ??

Look at the amount of solder on the pipework. Some muppet has attacked those Yorkies with a bobbin of lead free and used the whole lot on 4 fittings. :speechless:

thanks for the help here lads - it is much appreciated. But look - everything works fine apart from this outside tap...and ripping a working (ok apart from the tap) setup up will not be cheap will it...If I had any idea of a quote I'd be able to figure out if it was worthwhile, or just replace the tap and make a note to replace the whole lot later on. Mark

Hi Mark
Money may be a concern but the snapshot of pipework is a real hash and an accident waiting to happen...it doesn't meet current water regulations there is solder and mountains of PTFE everywhere, pipework on a slant (or it looks that way) gate valves where they shouldn't be. Price would depend on where you live and what other horrors are not shown.
As already said I would get a professional in for a quote.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap has suddently stopped working (pic enclosed)? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock