Discuss Outside tap advice. (Yes really!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi guys.
Was sorting a job for a customer yesterday and they asked me to install an outside tap on Thursday (It was too late to start it at the time).
No problem I hear you say, why on earth would someone who calls themselves a plumber want advice on an outside tap...
Well here's the thing. The house has a cellar which has steps going down to it outside the kitchen wall, so it can't come out there without a few metres of elaborate exterior pipework that will almost definitely freeze in winter, so the only option is to bring it out from the bathroom. The bathroom is fully tiled so can't drill into it without breaking at least one tile, can't drill out from it without making a mess of the outside wall. The only place I can safely drill in without hitting the back of a tile is under the bath, so access to the isolation valve will be hindered by the bath panel. They don't want any exposed pipework.
So my quandary is. I can fit it but the isolation on it will be rendered pointless by the plastic bath panel which needs to be siliconed back in once the job is finished.
What would you do?
1. Do it under the bath with a disclaimer on the invoice about freezing.
2. Go out under the basin which will make a pigs ear of the exterior wall, but will leave an accessible place to have an ISO, this spot will also have to include about a meter of exterior pipework as the sink backs onto a part of wall over the cellar steps.
3. Or go in under the kitchen sink as standard but have a couple of meters of exterior pipework.
The customer is the landlord and doubts the tenants will adhere to the winter drain off rule. So I'd rather use no exterior pipes and a wall plate than a back plate elbow - to reduce the chance of a freeze. The only option where I could do this is from under the bath so no useful internal ISO with that option...
Only the kitchen sink method will allow me to site the tap over a drain, there is no exterior drain outside the bathroom.
I could just put it to the customer and let him decide, but which do you think is the best option?

Hi guys.
Was sorting a job for a customer yesterday and they asked me to install an outside tap on Thursday (It was too late to start it at the time).
No problem I hear you say, why on earth would someone who calls themselves a plumber want advice on an outside tap...
Well here's the thing. The house has a cellar which has steps going down to it outside the kitchen wall, so it can't come out there without a few metres of elaborate exterior pipework that will almost definitely freeze in winter, so the only option is to bring it out from the bathroom. The bathroom is fully tiled so can't drill into it without breaking at least one tile, can't drill out from it without making a mess of the outside wall. The only place I can safely drill in without hitting the back of a tile is under the bath, so access to the isolation valve will be hindered by the bath panel. They don't want any exposed pipework.
So my quandary is. I can fit it but the isolation on it will be rendered pointless by the plastic bath panel which needs to be siliconed back in once the job is finished.
What would you do?
1. Do it under the bath with a disclaimer on the invoice about freezing.
2. Go out under the basin which will make a pigs ear of the exterior wall, but will leave an accessible place to have an ISO, this spot will also have to include about a meter of exterior pipework as the sink backs onto a part of wall over the cellar steps.
3. Or go in under the kitchen sink as standard but have a couple of meters of exterior pipework.
The customer is the landlord and doubts the tenants will adhere to the winter drain off rule. So I'd rather use no exterior pipes and a wall plate than a back plate elbow - to reduce the chance of a freeze. The only option where I could do this is from under the bath so no useful internal ISO with that option...
Only the kitchen sink method will allow me to site the tap over a drain, there is no exterior drain outside the bathroom.
I could just put it to the customer and let him decide, but which do you think is the best option?

Let the customer decide

You can do a run without it freezing. If you fit a suitable drain point (and have sloping pipework), the customer can drain the pipe for the winter months. A drained pipe cannot freeze.

Just a thought.

Drill a hole into the bathroom tile from inside, then drill a pilot hole through the wall. Drill your full-sized hole half way through the wall from the bathroom side then drill from the outside. Nice and neat outside and in and no broken tiles ... hopefully. ;)

tough one !!
here are my inexperienced opinions.

1. if they agree to the terms, covers you and you've put in writing about the issues. put an additional isolate outside as it comes out the wall.

2. get a 25MM tile hole saw for the interior tile, 22MM x 400MM core and core it, no blow out on the external wall, hammer in 22mm as a sleeve and seal for future replacement, tee it with a drain on the bottom, quarter turn brass jobby(might actually get used) and go up to a back plate with the tap.

3. ask to time a service later in the year and turn it off and drain yourself, when they want the outside tap in spring they can figure it out themselves.

i would go for 2 and get the extra tooling for the future.

Last edited:
drill from inside out with a ten mm then each way with a 20mm use a flanged pipe type fitting to hide any breakout

Pass the buck. Give the customer the options with pro's and con's in writing and get him to sign against the option he decides to go with. One lesson I have learned is to always cover you back.

Supply one of those outside tap insulated covers, only a few quid from screwy I bet.

outside taps don't freeze that often anyway. Mine never has, never isolated either.

Stormguard Outside Tap Insulation | NoLinkingToThis

Same as DKIA. Wether the pipes/tap freeze all depend upon location, orientation, prevailing wind etc. If tap is not lowest point of pipework I always fit a drain off and instruct cust to isolate inside, open outside tap and open drain off.

even when the outside tap is the lowest point of the system, closing the isolation valve will not guarantee drainage of pipework etc. it's a bit like filling a short bit of hose with water and holding it vertical with your finger over the top, the water wont drain from the hose until you release your finger.

it's better to have an air inlet/release point after the isolation valve [ a tee piece with a bleed nipple in the branch works a treat ]

close iso valve, open outside tap and open bleed nipple for guaranteed drainage.
it's never done though.

Do it as standard Joe. If it bursts its cos if the weather not cos of you. Take the callout and repair.

Btw plastic pipe externally has a higher tolerance to bursting.

Iso'---->-----DCV------>-----Draincock----->----|Piepe + Sleeve|---->---Outside Tap
^
^
^
^
<<<< Cold Main

20mm hole, 20mm electrical conduit, slot 15mm pipe through, seal both ends = sorted.

Last edited:
And not compliant with the water regs. DC valve needs to be within the building envelope.

I gave the customer all the options today and he settled on a bit of pipework coming out through the bath panel with an ISO then the pipework goes back in under the bath and goes outside.
Not what I would have chosen, but the customer is king and all that.
Thanks oodles for your advice chaps ;)

I might add that he was asking me to just do the tap from under the bath without an internal isolation point until I mentioned that I would have to include a disclaimer on the invoice if he chose that option.
Don't you just love landlords?

And not compliant with the water regs. DC valve needs to be within the building envelope.

Out of interest Mike, what happens if your replacing an existing outside tap with check valve, is it within regs to replace like for like when no check valve has been plumbed internally?

Out of interest Mike, what happens if your replacing an existing outside tap with check valve, is it within regs to replace like for like when no check valve has been plumbed internally?

"Double check valves have been shown to be susceptible to frost damage and should therefore be protected against freezing by being installed inside a building, or by other means."
WRAS Recommendation R15.20

As long as you protect it from freezing by another means then you should be okay but I personally wouldn't put my trust in one of those tap covers.

Last edited:
I should not steal Mikes thunder but to answer your question Bob, they can be installed as a replacement only, like for like or if the original tap had no protection & it is not practical to install a D/C on the inside (fitted kitchen units etc).
That is the only reason why they are still on sale.

If you fit a sure stop valve under bath you could possibly fit the switch In a adjacent cupboard
Just to add, you can now buy a 6 metre length of tubing so you could put the switch pretty much anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap advice. (Yes really!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock