Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Ordering Freezemaster Nightmare! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

metamorph67

Thought i'd get a Freezemaster 280D machine today as i have a few jobs coming up where the machine would save alot of hassle, ie changing 7 large rads on a drop down system in an occupied bungalow, i wanted to change one or two rads a day and be able to get the heating back on for the customer in the event of any snagging. (the system is a b***r to drain down and refill, and the rads are really heavy!) Anyway, i ordered the machine from Cranfords and payed by draft, i then was told after payment was moved that Freezemaster would not deliver the machine to anything other than a business address ie a 9-5 office! Duh! Well i'm a sole trader and can't afford an office, my retired parents are the best i can do! I had to cancell the order and make sure the money was back in the bank, what alot of grief!

I think the lesson here is to go through a reputable company like BES, where they have the machine in stock and can place it where you want it to be placed! I now have to go through the whole hassle again tomorrow and check this time that there will be no problems, all this from trying to save £50. Cranfords £750 inc
Toolstop £750 inc
BES £800 inc

Does any one know where i should buy this machine, preferably who will look after me if there are any problems? Replies much appreciated.

Better off with the Rofrost kit that requires no electricity and uses liquid CO2. It also freezes up to 62mm without an upgrade kit, unlike the electric ones. This kit is NOT the freezer can kits you buy from Screw Fix etc. Rofrost uses 6.5kg cylinders from industrial gas suppliers like BOC. It's so easy to operate, won't break down and cheaper to buy, plus doesn't need maintenance from a refrigeration engineer like the electric kits.
One big advantage is that I can take the Rofrost anywhere and into houses that have no electricity.

I recently carried out work on an old Victorian mansion type house with ancient plumbing to match. Rather than trying to turn old gate valves and drain down and refill the system with all the problems associated in doing that on such an old system, I froze the supply pipes as required and fitted isolating valves. A real quality piece of kit that's well worth the purchase price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did think of CO2 but the trouble is, even though the C02 isnt toxic, it does displace the air and not so good to leave on for a few hours at a time in an unventilated area, i have a decent polar kit for quick stuff etc,, i think i'l look up the rofrost & check how much the bottles are etc. Many thanks.

I'm surprised you've had trouble. Most plumbers work from a residential address. Just try another company.

Yes, i think i will, there's not loads of choice when googled, i really want an electric machine as i hate paniking with plumbing and don't like being rushed, after all i work in a choc biscuits and tea type of town where elderly residents like a little entertainment when hireing help! Anyway lots been said on pros & cons of Co2 v electric and i just need to take the plunge!!

I'l read any posts before miday tmrw if any one seriously thinks they're a waste of money or something, great site this! All the best!:winkiss:

ive been toying with the idea of buying the rothenberg electric freezer. £540inc

I've got a freeze master. Freezes up to 54mm (big enough for me) I can't remember what number it is, but it has two heads, so I can freeze a section, or both sides of a rad like you want to.

Anyway, it cost me £300 on eBay and was delivered a day or two later. It is ex-hire, but works perfectly. I must remember to turn it on for an hour or so this week as you must use them occasionally to stop the seals drying out. Anyway good luck with it. PS - if you're in Kent you can borrow mine.

The Arctic freezer is the same machine as the Freezemaster, just under another badge. They are easy to get fixed and get re-gassed by your local refrigeration engineer.

Have heard of people havihng trouble with the Rothenberger ones.

I had trouble with the Rothy one!! My merchants loaned me one for £30.00.

It froze the first pipe perfectly, and started to beep, so I cut my gatevalve out, and started with the next one.

It started to beep (indicating the pipe was frozen. Luckilly I didn't assume it had done it, but cracked the union instead. Was it frozen??? Well no, not even close.

I have the freeze master for about 7/8 years no problems up to date

I had trouble with the Rothy one!! My merchants loaned me one for £30.00.

It froze the first pipe perfectly, and started to beep, so I cut my gatevalve out, and started with the next one.

It started to beep (indicating the pipe was frozen. Luckilly I didn't assume it had done it, but cracked the union instead. Was it frozen??? Well no, not even close.
This is the Rothenberg electric kit, not CO2

definatly go with the electric ones youd need a lot of gas to eep it frozen all day
Not true, very little gas is used in the freezing process if used properly. Not designed to keep pipes frozen ALL day, but to freeze a pipe to allow a isolating valve, works to be done.

So how do you freeze a pipe with a electric freezer in an unoccupied property with no electricity?

I've been thinking of buying a freezer aswell, I have to say although I normally agree with system I do like the idea of an electric one rather than messing around with a big heavy bottle. The electricity dosen't bother me.

I think there is a cheaper 'plumb freeze' machine, is that any good?

I too was wondering at the plumb freeze machine, but if you wastch the u tube vid demonstration, they don't cut any pipes for you to see, and it's debatable wether the vid is in real time, also, the freezmaster claims it can freeze pipes up against a wall without the bungy clamp, i do come across pipes that have been skimmed round so that you can't get to the back 40%, most of the other makes of freezer as well as the co2 need to be able to get right round the pipe. I thank you all for your imput, especially those that have the freezmaster and have had no problems. Will post when it arrives and ive tested the kit. Thanks again.:juggle2:

Not true, very little gas is used in the freezing process if used properly. Not designed to keep pipes frozen ALL day, but to freeze a pipe to allow a isolating valve, works to be done.

So how do you freeze a pipe with a electric freezer in an unoccupied property with no electricity?

There is a very dodgy way if its just been cut off at the meter, get two 6 inch nails (made from a conductive metal) and knock them in each side of the meter at the correct point and connect with a cable, works well apparently, but very dangerous. I'd just go for the gas kit tbh.

I've been thinking of buying a freezer aswell, I have to say although I normally agree with system I do like the idea of an electric one rather than messing around with a big heavy bottle. The electricity dosen't bother me.

I think there is a cheaper 'plumb freeze' machine, is that any good?
What do I detect a hint of disagreement from my West Yorkshire pal! LOL

Took delivery today of the Freezemaster 280D, ive tested it and it works a dream, ive no doubt it will make my life alot easier, that's if i don't do my back in carrying it!(18 Kg). It's froze 22mm pipe both sides of a gate valve in 16 mins, i left it for 20 mins just to be safe! Thanks alot for all your input, i will turn it on at least once a month to look after the seals etc.
Got it from BES in the end, and they were very helpful. Can't stay, have new tool to play with!

I wonder if it would clamp round somebodys wrist and freeze or freeze a finger off, or even your....:38:

Bet someones tried that..... er or not!

Without sounding like a "stuck record" here. The Rofrost CO2 doesn't take 16 minutes to freeze a 22mm pipe, but just over 5 and that's for two pipes.
Everyone has their own preference and that's one of the plus points of this forum where we can have several points of view to help us make a decision.

Better off with the Rofrost kit that requires no electricity and uses liquid CO2. It also freezes up to 62mm without an upgrade kit, unlike the electric ones. This kit is NOT the freezer can kits you buy from Screw Fix etc. Rofrost uses 6.5kg cylinders from industrial gas suppliers like BOC. It's so easy to operate, won't break down and cheaper to buy, plus doesn't need maintenance from a refrigeration engineer like the electric kits.
One big advantage is that I can take the Rofrost anywhere and into houses that have no electricity.

I recently carried out work on an old Victorian mansion type house with ancient plumbing to match. Rather than trying to turn old gate valves and drain down and refill the system with all the problems associated in doing that on such an old system, I froze the supply pipes as required and fitted isolating valves. A real quality piec

e of kit that's well worth the purchase price.

I'm with system3 on this one. I got one on his recommendation its great.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ordering Freezemaster Nightmare! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock