Discuss One of those customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pakmei

Hi all, I need a bit of help, I have a customer who has a 210l santon, he runs his DHW on constant. He tells me that he believes that once the cylinder has reached temp his boiler should not need to fire again until he draws off some hot water, even if he goes on a weeks holiday. I see on the santon litereture that expected heat loss is 1.7kwh how can I equate this to degrees dropped per hour, so as to explain this to him in lay mans terms

You need to find out the specific heat of water. This will tell you how many degrees you will lose

How the hell does he expect water to stay hot for a week without being heated? I dont know the maths on this but, basicly the water will loose its heat due to heat exchange.. If the cylinder temp is 60 degrees and the room tempreature is 20 then eventually the two tempreatures will balance out. Like hot coffee in a themas flask or a warm drink in the fridge.

How the hell does he expect water to stay hot for a week without being heated? I dont know the maths on this but, basicly the water will loose its heat due to heat exchange.. If the cylinder temp is 60 degrees and the room tempreature is 20 then eventually the two tempreatures will balance out. Like hot coffee in a themas flask or a warm drink in the fridge.

I don't know he's a real gem, he rang my office again yesterday complaining that even though he hadn't used his hot water for two hours the boiler had just come on, well it's going too isn't it.
Anyway the only stats that Heatrae can supply are that his cylinder will require 1.7 kwh in 24 hours to maintain tempereture so i'm off to see him tomorrow to attempt once again to explain the workings of his system

hi, with my basic grasp of maths, the specific heat of water and all things inbetween I think and please don't quote me on this!! that a 1.7kwh heat loss over 24 hours would equate to aproximatly 29.14deg a day or 1.24 deg per hour, but don't forget the additional heat losses though pipe work and the effect of gavity circulation though pipework (poorly installed hot pipe work from the cylinder could result in gravity ciculation which can waste all the hot water in the cylinder!), oh and don't forget the drippy hot tap!! don't know if this will help you best of luck with it though, don't forget that the only thing the customer will have heard and retained from any conversations with you/ builder and santon is the great insulation values and the minimal heat losses from the cylinder!!

and so to bed!!

Your customer has waaaaay to much spare time. Is he retired by any chance? Probably best to remind him that you arent, and what goes up must come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One of those customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably...
Replies
Views
B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
Hi all, So I did a job for a customer recently which involved swapping out an incredibly dangerous and poorly installed unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock