Discuss Old system converted from partially pumped to Fully in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Full-Stomp

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this so bare with me!

I've been recently looking a the central heating system at my parents house, which hasn't been running efficiently I feel since it was converted from coal fired (Pumped CH and Gravity HW) to a modern gas boiler fully pumped. It looks like a Y plan from learning about heating systems online, with two valves after the pump.

Its a large system, 14 radiators vented with a header tank in the loft. With an indirect 1050x450 tank, vented.

The hot water would never get that hot after the conversion some 10 years ago, and the boiler would seem to run forever.. With long pump overruns. afterwards.

I swapped out the immersion heater/water heater with a modern one, which was the original gravity type (large coil). And now they have a 25 minute recovery time! Saving a fortune on bills.

There is one heat sink radiator, which comes pretty much directly off the feed for the tank. Can this be safely turned off now on a fully pumped system? Or even removed? It heats the room up in summer massively.

Also a small amount of radiators warm up slightly, with the water heating on only. What could cause this? None of the valves are sticking it seems.

Would it be worth installing an automatic bypass also after the pump? There is one there. But it looks like just a normal tap/valve. There seems to be a lot of overrun.

Hi and welcome along. In the nicest possible way it is very easy to get the piping wrong with this, sounds like it may already be the case. I would strongly suggest that you get a pro in to take a look for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old system converted from partially pumped to Fully in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
I am after an advice, please. We have a vertical radiator from Reina, Evie, that heats up only 2nd column fully, 1,3 and 4 are lukewarm. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock