Discuss Old radiators - reuse or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zsoltimatrix

Hi guys,

One more question...

Is it a good idea to reuse old (15years+) radiators on a brand new pipes/boiler system?

If yes, what should I look out for?

If not, I was looking at Kudox from Srewfix, are they good?

Thank you,

Tbh I don't see the point esp if your re piping and don't think they would take the pressure ,my vote change and I use stelrad softlines

Last edited:
Time to wave those rads goodbye. Potentially not heating great and could have lots of sludge in them to giv probs with new boiler down d line.
Why don't ye go to your local branch of Williams. I'm sure ye'd b looked after

There will be old sludge in there that you will drag into the system. If you have spent the money on new boiler and pipes you might as well spend the bit extra on rads.

Old rads can be in good order if there was inhibitor in system from the start and the system was piped correctly or a sealed system. I have joined to loads of older rads and also converted to sealed on some of the systems, with no bother at all and still going many years later and, in fact often additionally longer than the total age of your rads!
But if the rads are not convector type, or have been wrong sizes, then best you change them.
Also is better just to get rid of every source of crud in system and replacing is often better than powerflushing.
I don't like Kudox rads as they are light, cheap and nasty, but it is your choice.
I prefer Myson round top personally, but you might want the type with covers on top & sides, which Myson & other brands have.

New rads will work better with you new system. If you want to use the old ones then flush them out in the garden first. Acid cleaner if needed.

Why don't ye go to your local branch of Williams. I'm sure ye'd b looked after

Thanks for the recommend Bright Spark, but I don't think the OP is a tradesman. As a retail customer, we would politely steer him to a DIY store who will be happy to take his money.

i would only reuse old radiators if they were old school cast iron like the ones they have in schools hospitals ect otherwise always use new ones on a new system

15 years old is no age for steel rads especialy on a good systemmy brothers are aproaching 40 years old open vented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old radiators - reuse or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock