Search the forum,

Discuss Old Property renovation Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
My dad needs some help with his new house, I'm going to be putting a new ch system in and possibly a gas fire. Firstly, does the finishing section look ok from the flue? Can't say as I have seen it before. House was built in 1976.
DSC_0082_zpskmcp7kq4.jpg

Secondly, Permalli gas meter boxes, does anyone have any useful experience of them regarding the incoming gas supply rising in the cavity.

those types of meter box installs should be banned... if we fit pipes in cavity's we would be in a world of shiz. which way up is that pic supposed to be not as is surely..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ye, it's the right way up, just on a bit of an angle. It's where the flue comes out in the loft and connects to the twin wall. I've got to try and find the technical bulletin for the Permalli boxes, I think I've got it in the van.

the parmalli box/main is AR and should be reported to the grid. They will arrange for the main to be changed for free, but you may or may not be charged for the installation of a new inset meter box. I got my mothers house sorted for free but then a while later was told they were charging for them again. I think it depends on how you talk to them sometimes. If they want you to pay just buy a box yourself and be there when they do the work and fix it in for them to drop the main to.

National Grid are going out on Friday to inspect the meter installation. So we'll see what they say, but it ain't good imo.

ring gas safe and tell them National grid or whenever should be struck off due to flouting a very old and long standing law about cavity's. Oh hang on the suppliers are above the law..

National Grid went on Friday, my dad said they used expanding foam to seal the cavity as the permanent fix. Bodge job or what? I need to go round and have a look at it myself, but I'll take some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Property renovation Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
My In-laws lives in Scotland Perthshire (I'm in England) and has an old 40+yr old coal fired boiler, Bungalow with 14 rads (some double) pumped heating microbore and gravity hot water cylinder. Rads originally sized on single glazing, then 15yrs ago got double glazing put in. I'm trying to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock