Discuss Oil vs LPG in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ianto-fp

Have looked at the pro's and cons of oil vs LPG and wondered if anyone has done the same? The system I have done the calcs on would require a maximum of 18kw for underfloor and 3 rads, unvented cylinder with solar, I have looked at the litres per hour of a gas boiler and a oil boiler and the LPG wins hands down but I do realise that you get more heat out of a litre of oil than gas so has anyone got the calc for this, and a gas boiler would modulate when an oil boiler would start and stop, also the LPG install would be cheaper. would like to hear your views to help me make my mind up

Oil and LPG work out about the same but new LPG tanks can be buried underground and it's the supplier that services and looks after these so I'd probably go with LPG as install would be less than oil

I don't disagree with Gray0689 but would add that it's easy to change suppliers with oil, especially if there are problems.

Price wise, I think oil has traditionally increased in price before the other fuels but tends to stay at a "plateau" for longer so there's probably not much in it. Both are cheaper than electricity.

I have a feeling that if you ask 20 people for assistance with this, you'll get 20 different responses - each with good reasons to go for one and not the other!

The oftec website will show you comparison running costs between the two and their independent survey shows oil to be cheaper to run. I have seen calor advertising lpg for heating and they concentrate on the installation costs which are cheaper. I had lpg on my own house and I changed to oil and you would never convince me to go back to lpg in a million years. I had a bulk tank for lpg and it cost me a lot to install it and I had to pay rent on it and I had to pay them to take it out.There are for,s and againsts for both. I am afraid at the end of the day you pays your money and you take your chances.

The oftec website will show you comparison running costs between the two and their independent survey shows oil to be cheaper to run. I have seen calor advertising lpg for heating and they concentrate on the installation costs which are cheaper. I had lpg on my own house and I changed to oil and you would never convince me to go back to lpg in a million years. I had a bulk tank for lpg and it cost me a lot to install it and I had to pay rent on it and I had to pay them to take it out.There are for,s and againsts for both. I am afraid at the end of the day you pays your money and you take your chances.

Very true mate
Calor was doing good deals on bulk tanks a couple of months ago don't know if still are

If you do go for lpg and chose a bulk tank make sure you get calor to do a site assessment prior to signing up for anything. Have done a couple of oil installs where the customer had decided on lpg with a bulk tank but after calors site assessment they have refused to install the tank due to siting of tank not being able to meet the regs for refilling etc.

As others said i think the is no conclusive answer.
I wrote aseries of articles related to this, but for a mostly us/canadian readership -
Is Propane or LPG the Best Fuel for Rural Locations? | Suite101.com
Which is the Best Fuel for Home Use Propane, LPG or Oil? | Suite101.com
The Advantages of Choosing Oil for Domestic Heating Fuel | Suite101.com

I'm all theory, i've only had gas or electric heating.

If I was faced with this problem though, I would do more research into air sourced heat pumps.
I was very interested by a Worcester Bosch you tube clip where someone has had this and now rarely use their oil heating and think over all air sourced heat pump has been a lot cheaper.

There are a lot of factors to consider though including construction/ insulation and location.

I prefer l.p.g taking running cost etc out of equation. Oil is a dirty fuel, smells awful at flue. Leaks are a mess and smell. Run out of Oil and in may cases a nightmare to start boiler up. Also you could have gas fire and hob installed. Living the dream as though you had mains supply

My middle article gives you the comparison in imperial measurements (sorry imperial measurements for US readers) but essentially:

LPG heat value of 91,000 BTUs per gallon of liquid,
oil produces 140,000 BTUs per gallon.
LPG needs to be about one third less than the price of oil for the two to be =.

Last time I looked this means LPG was more expensive - but it is close - and figures always change. I note price of oil has been rising more steeply that LPG over the past 5 years or so.

Also worth knowing tha WB, who make oil boilers, do NOT envisage new systems being installed with oil, they think the market for oil boilers is just replacement on existing systems, according to the mag they send to installers.

Last edited by a moderator:
LPG is probably the most expensive but it has the advantage that you can have a gas hob to cook on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil vs LPG in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock