Search the forum,

Discuss oil tank below level of burner. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crackingup9

Hello, first time trying this, was looking some advice on how to sort out a problem with a vented oil burner system that has an oil tank below the level of the burner. I've replaced the pump, the tank is about a quarter full but i'm not having any joy. i rigged up a temporary oil supply right beside the burner and it worked fine so my next idea is connect up a tigerloop, is this the way to go. I would appreciate some advice.

welcome to the forum.
as you know the tigerloop takes out the air and will act as a one way valve i.mo.
have been wrong before tho.

tigerloops.... cant explain the physics of how they work - just know that they do, seem to be able to add about 3 metre head to an instalation. shouldnt be possible but they work, im afraid its a case for me of, shut up - you dont have to understand how they work - just accept that they do.
i use them, they work.
just like j numbers !!

how much higher is the burner than the tank level?

Once you have the oil through it normally works fine unless air is drawn into oil line. I have had them working with the burner upto a metre higher before now. if much more than that then you will require tigerloop

Hi, thanks for answering. I'm kinda out ideas so maybe this device will do the trick

The tank is probably no more than a metre below the house, the thing i can't figure is that the system has been working fine for the past no. of years with no loop fitted so i can't see why it needs one now, anyhow thanks for replying, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
because air has been introduced. Possibly oil levbel gotten too low?

Once the oil has been drawn up properly using the correct equipment and the vacuum effect in the oil line created you will be up and running as normal again. Dont go buyign a tigerloop if you dont have to they aren't cheap and neither will installation.

Where abouts are you?

You can get something called an oil lifter (not a tiger loop). I seem to remember it's a sort of miniature tank installed near the ceiling.

just fit a non return valve in the oil line near the burner this is cheapest way of fixing the problem i do it all the time as used to fit tigerloops but a oil boiler manufacterur told me this way

Hi, i haven't come across this bad a situation before but i'm learning fast. I went and bought a tigerloop today, fitted it and on the second attempt away it went, pretty relieved i have to say. but your idea of fitting a non-return valve in the line makes alot of sense, will do that the next time. Many thanks, tony.

Oil lifter is quite expensive and is mainly for vapourising burners.

I have come across a tigerloop fitted to a line where the tank is 2m above the burner. The original installer convinced the customer that the boiler would work better with one / be more efficient etc and charged well for the privilege of fitting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil tank below level of burner. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock