Discuss Oil Tank Below Boiler Level problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tiger loop is fine inside boiler house
I have to disagree Gray0689 I asked the very same question years ago at OFTEC and I was told it should be fitted externally for the reason I mentioned.

I have to disagree Gray0689 I asked the very same question years ago at OFTEC and I was told it should be fitted externally for the reason I mentioned.

The fire valve (kbb) should be fitted outside of boiler house for the reason you mentioned not the tiger loop

The fire valve should be outside as you correctly said but the reason I said the tigerloop should be outside is because it vents fumes from the air vent in the top of it and you could get the boiler house filled with kerosene fumes which can ignite in the right circumstances. The oftec book 3 says must be fitted outside of a building, it does not say what constitutes a building so we have to assume that a boilerhouse is a building.

Aye, fire valve and that type of tiger loop external, if you want it inside then its a gok. For me anyway.

A boiler house is not a building we will agree to disagree to this lol

Tigerloop must be fitted EXTERNALLY IE OUTSIDE as it can vent vapour, which must not be sucked up by the boiler. Only the Tigerloop BIO can be installed inside and it has a vent pipe going outside. Tigerloop original instructions state it must be fitted externally.

Gray0689 - Look at your OFTEC installation manual - it always shows the deaeration device outside. If you still don't believe us all then phone OFTEC technical advice and ask them!

What a complete mess! NO remote sensing fire valve fitted either!!

COWBOY ALERT!
COWBOY ALERT!
COWBOY ALERT!

Guy is DEFNINTELY not registered, or else completely incompetent. If it hasn't been installed properly it could also be dangerous.

Go to Oil Firing Technical Association - registered professionals for the the oil heating and cooking industry - OFTEC, Kesgrave, Ipswich and find a technician in your area to do the job properly.

Last edited:
Tigerloop must be fitted EXTERNALLY IE OUTSIDE as it can vent vapour, which must not be sucked up by the boiler

What a complete mess!

COWBOY ALERT!
COWBOY ALERT!
COWBOY ALERT!

Guy is DEFNINTELY not registered, and look incompetent. If it hasn't been installed properly it could also be dangerous.

Go to Oil Firing Technical Association - registered professionals for the the oil heating and cooking industry - OFTEC, Kesgrave, Ipswich and find a technician in your area to do the job properly.

I disagree it can be in boilerhouse as long as kbb on outside as per regs

Wrong - quote from the Tigerloop instructions:

Tigerloop Original - for external mounting only. This device is not permitted for indoor installation as it vents contaminated air into its surrounding environment, this could create explosion or health hazards in confined spaces and therefore must be fitted on the outside wall of any premises. For situation where the boiler is not mounted to the perimeter wall, use a Tigerloop Bio

Wrong - quote from the Tigerloop instructions:

Is a boiler house oil boiler classed as a building I will think you will find it's not or you would require planning permission for it you do it your way and I'll do it mine lol

A building is defined as any permanent or temporary structure which may be fully or partly enclosed, so yes a boilerhouse is a building. Nothing to do with building regulations or building control or whether you need planning permission or not.

Also you cannot argue that fitting the tigerloop inside a boiler house can be "external"

Still disagree? OK lets phone OFTEC and ask them for the definitive answer then to end the argument!

Last edited:
Ring all you want I disagree
Boilerhouse external boiler I will still put them inside no mater what the flexi hoses rust and rot outside

Flexi hoses shouldn't be outside - you should know that as its in the OFTEC book - they are not to extend beyond the casing of the boiler. The tigerloop should be fitted with copper pipe. If you buy the tigerloop fitting kit you will get 3 no 10mm x 1/8" male compression fittings to go into the tigerloop.

If you want to carry on doing it the wrong way, that's up to you but just about everyone else on the forum is in agreement to the contrary.

Last edited:
Well I've always been contrary can't see me changing now ps I always do it my way anyway lol
I'll stick to putting it inside the boiler case

The new eco versions of the tigerloops (this isn't one) can be fitted inside.
I'd put a fiver on no bypass screw fitted.

Prime by mouth....thats a beauty.
Last time i did that is when i "primed" my car out the van:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my priming pump from Motor World (or maybe Halfords?) for about a fiver. Surely it's a basic bit of kit for an oil technician. Get your installation checked by a registered guy for safety as incorrectly fitted combustion appliances can be potentially fatal.

Thought I'd give an update on this. Basically he tested the pipe, replaced the non return valve, and I closed the valve to indicate the level of oil in the boiler.

One of these three things fixed the problem, heat has been running fine since. Hopefully it continues into the winter

Thanks all for your help, very much appreciated (he'd have had me moving the oil tank without the info I got off here)

Last question for those in the know - sections of the 10mm pipe, whether under the ground or out in air - do they need to be insulated?

Would be better in a sleeved pipe (especially the underground part).

You can purchase sleeved copper pipe just for the purpose. (10mm pipe sleeved with plastic to an overall diameter of around 15mm).

You can purchase sleeved copper pipe just for the purpose. (10mm pipe sleeved with plastic to an overall diameter of around 15mm).
- Yeah it is the sleeved copper pipe that he used : but bits where the sleeve has been stripped back for a joint for example - is there something to cover these (or indeed compression valves) or should I no worry?

Dont worry about the copper being exposed as long as no fittings underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Tank Below Boiler Level problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock