Search the forum,

Discuss Oil boiler with flexible balanced flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

morganb

I've got a job coming up to fit an oil boiler in a utility. It's replacing an old boiler flueing into a lined chimney. The boiler is sited so I can't fit either a horizontal flue (even with plume management) or vertical. They're reluctant to move the boiler, or change to an external one.

I'm looking to fit a flexible liner down the existing chimney to the boiler. I've have fitted condensing oil boiler as an open flued with stainless liner before, but I'm not to keen to repeat that. I'm looking at the Grant balanced liner, but the only problem I have is it only goes up to 26 kW, the boiler will probably be a 26-35.

Does anyone know what kW the Warmflow balanced liner will go up to, if the Grant conventional liner is a decent piece of kit, or if any of the lesser manufacturers make similar balanced kits? Also how difficult is a balanced liner to get down a chimney, the run is about 4 metres vertical then another metre at an angle.

cmon, time to tell a few porkies and get an external boiler fitted, why make life hard for yourself.

Your boiler is over 26kw. Is it a huge house?

You are best with the Grant high level banalced flue kits. I have fitted loads of those. You need to check that the liner will fit down the existing chimney. I wouldn't touch the Warmflow one with the proverbial end of a stick!

Having said that when customers see the estimates for both options, the usually go for the external boiler in the end anyway as the flue kit and fitting can often add well over £1,000 onto the job by the time you have messed about with the chimney stacks etc.

Last edited:
24 radiators, 250 litre unvented and an annex to be plumbed/heated at a later date so fairly large domestic.

I've given them a price for both, they are similarly priced so it's up to them what they go with. For me I'd quite like to try the balanced liner as it's an easy one to do for my first time. If it needs the 26-35 then I've just gone with the external.

I've only fitted the balanced flue liner on a gas fired back boiler with no end of problems because of flue chill. The water used to run down onto the fan and blow it.

The gas boilers were condensing so flue temps were low and made of plastic. Do the oil ones suffer from similar issues or are the temps higher?

Slightly off topic but I didn't realise you got these liners on anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler with flexible balanced flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi, i've got a job with a Vaillant Ecotec 630 system boiler, and i don't know the full history but the house has definitely been extended significantly since the boiler was installed. There's now 21 radiators/towel rails. It's getting to temperature, but even after balancing, it's not heating...
Replies
Views
The rusty bit with a hole at the top looks quite old, feels flimsy, and is a single skin 100mm x 400mm. The boiler has a 600mm new pipe rising vertically, then a new 135 degree bend (although the paint has come off as you can see), then the rusty pipe, another 135 degree bend which looks very...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that we're turning into a guesthouse. The property was built in the 1970's or so and has an oil fired boiler with a standard copper cylinder. As far as I...
Replies
Views
My installation has been classed as Dangerous 'Do not use' by my boiler manufacturer. I have an Ideal Logic 30kw Combi boiler mounted as high as can be on the kitchen wall. Flue exits out through the wall via an elbow but emerges above a flat roof. Unfortunately it's somewhat less than the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock