Search the forum,

Discuss OFTEC done, need some specific tool, any suggestions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright chaps. I have a list of what I think I need, gauges, smoke pump, fire valve tester, etc but has anyone got any suggestions of where to get them? (already got FGA)
I have priced up with HWOS and its easy to spend a grand...

perhaps you know someone who could hit me up with a sweet package deal or summat?

cheers

Jay

HWOS are the way forward, and for spares just by one of everything :) or get bidding on flea bay and wasting your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
HWOS are the way forward, and for spares just by one of everything :) or get bidding on flea bay and wasting your time.

nah, dont like wasting time.. I have filled my HWOS trolley with nozzles, flared fittings and many tools.. they seem pretty competitive.

What I don't like about hwos is you have to spend £180 for free delivery!

its usually less for most places..
no problem for me, my cart is up to a grand already

Hi Jay
Basic tools are:
Oil pressure gauge
Henry hoover with Hepaflo bags, wire brushes and soft brushes
FGA
Smoke pump
Good set (Wiha are good) of Hex keys and spanners
CD11 forms (The HWOS forms are good)
To start with you can get some general nozzles if you wish. The best way is to get as much information about the boiler from the Customer before you go, such as make, model and problem. This way you can look at what part is required etc before you go. How much stock you keep will depend on how good your local merchants are. If they stock most things such as burner oil pumps, photocells and nozzles, you should be able to get by. Buy common photo cells like the Riello RDB long photo cell and the MZ770. You don't need a massive selection of transformers, motors and control boxes to start with. This is something you can experiment with and find what works to your budget and the distance you have to travel to a Customer.
I have known heating engineers get by with very little in the way of stock. I have a good range of Oil pumps, over 200 nozzles, a range of capacitors, transformers, control boxes, electrodes, burner motors and other bits and bobs such as filters and flexi's. I didn't start out on day one with all this and it has developed over the years. Your Customer base will dictate your stock as different areas have different boilers. If you are just starting out in oil build up gradually otherwise you may find you buy things you will never need.
What you will need if the ability to learn quickly. If you do not have much repair experience you will have a steep learning curve or Customers will not be happy. This is where having some basic stock comes in handy as you can easily check if a part such as a photo cell is faulty by putting a new one in for a few minutes to try.
I think as you have a FGA already, you should be able to get enough basic stock for £500 to get started. If money is not an issue buy the HWOS select kits.
Get the Riello pump kit
Danfoss Pump kit
photocell kit
A selection of capacitors and electrodes
A couple of common transformers such as EBI and Riello and maybe a couple of control boxes
All the other bits you can get as time goes on
Good luck!

rollocks.... read the delivery details, you get free delivery if you go to a pick up point. get a suction pump for removing water from tank, cleaning oil lines and pulling oil through new lines, the big one is best.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnF - thats a mega useful post, thanks !

I already pt some of the select kits in 'the basket'
the 40pc nozzle kit
flared fittings
comp fittings
fire valve test with spare valves (still not sure about this, seems an expensive alternative to a kettle of water)
glycol pressure test kit
some flexi's
smoke pump
oil line pump
dual x cleaner kit
luckily, already have FGA

plus loads of odds and sods..

up to a grand already and that really is way more than I want to spend, pump kits are around £170 a piece.. am I barking up the wrong tree buying nozzle kits and fittings?
I dont have those size fittings on the van already, only most iron and brass/copper stuff

Dont forget a second hand complete burner for when its easier to just chuck one in than repair whats there. I carry a b9.

This is my preference and it works for me before I stand corrected. There are probably a few things I have forgot to mention too!
I would not buy a fire valve tester yet. We use a digital heat gun (to some success) but that is what was recommended by my Oftec inspector on my last inspection.
Oil line suction pump (as mentioned by Lame Plumber). I would use a suction pump and you can them use it for all sorts of things. The Gok oil puller is expensive, a pain in the arse and you get oil everywhere you dont want it as you are pumping the thing.
I would add Dual X at a later date. Most boilers we go to don't need it.
If you use flared fittings, Ridgid do a ratchett flaring tool. Its good but not cheap at £140 ish I think.
You can buy burner oil pumps when you need them if you are happy with travelling to get one when you are at a customers house.
And as Simon has just pointed out a replacement second hand burner when you cant get their burner up and running.
Other than that you should be good to go
www.hwos.co.uk/tools-equipment/mats-liquid-extraction/liquid-extraction-vacuum-pump-6l.html
Cheers
John

Last edited:
hmm, ill leave the fire valve tester.. got any recommendations for a digital heat gun ?

I live in the middle of nowhere, so do my customers (so far) and it would be an hour to get any parts at all.. I have to be canny about what I get, like you said, I dont want to end up with stuff I wont ever use.

Must admit its still jug and kettle for me. I get a cup of tea at the same time :)

Mate of mine bought a tester for his last inspection. Inspectors have changed and its better. They focus on the important stuff.

I got an evolution heat gun from the web for about £30. Nothing wrong with hot water for 65 degree fire valves but I found it wont work with 90 degree most of the time. I live in the sticks and personally I carry 4 types of Danfoss oil burner pump and the two Riello pumps. If its the motor that has gone then fair enough its a return trip but I like to go armed with a selection of oil pumps. If Money is the issue put the Delta pump on the van. It is as universal as you will get. I have fitted a few and not had any issues with them.

oftec do all the pads as well

im waiting for my OFTEC membership papers to come back from BPEC, got a service to do next week.. not ideal as ill be buying the oftec branded ones as well

these the CD11 forms ? its the only oil bouiler service/commission report I can find.

https://www.hwos.co.uk/consumables/report-pads-stickers/all-in-one-oil-report-pad.html

These are fine for servicing and commissioning. I find the CD11 forms a bit cramped. HWOS ones are better imho. Have you applied to Oftec yet? They are taking ages even for renewals at the moment. We applied for membership renewal three weeks before ours expired. They cocked it up and we went three days without membership. I had to contact the Director of registrations to get some action done. I would not book services in without speaking to them.

These are fine for servicing and commissioning. I find the CD11 forms a bit cramped. HWOS ones are better imho. Have you applied to Oftec yet? They are taking ages even for renewals at the moment. We applied for membership renewal three weeks before ours expired. They cocked it up and we went three days without membership. I had to contact the Director of registrations to get some action done. I would not book services in without speaking to them.

reckon its gonna take a few weeks. called oftec today, they say 2-5 days for memberships at the moment and was told up to 2 weeks for BPEC to do whatever it is that they do..
I would rather be oftec registered before I start but have a customer who wants it done asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to OFTEC done, need some specific tool, any suggestions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock