Search the forum,

Discuss NVQ Level 3 qualification, is it worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheCockneyScot

Hi all,

I've recently finished my level 2 NVQ and contemplating whether I'm going to sit the Level 3 course,

As I've seen, many self employed plumbers haven't done their level 3 and this doesn't seem to be a problem to them,

in terms of money earned and extra qualifications, is it worth it or should I focus more so on putting more hours into work and gaining the experience half?

Thanks in advance guys!

what im seeing quite a lot of these days is notices printed on taps and shower valves stating that level3 is required to install these products. and that if a claim was to arise, then the installers credentials would be questioned. its just a get out clause for insurance by the manufacturer, and although unlikely, do you really want to be the one caught out in this way?

Having read through the Level 2 book, I'd say, its not much better than an old Readers Digest or B & Q DIY Book. What you have with the aforemetioned is very limited knowledge, and very little hands-on-know-how.
Find a savvy, gas safe plumber and work with them whilst doing your level 3.

I used to watch every episode of Black Beauty, and the Lone Ranger, and all the great western movies.
I still do not know how to shoe a horse.

Last edited:
Currently been an apprentice with a gas safe plumber for coming on 3 years now, I do agree with you on the Level 2 side of things however. I found that most of what I learned in the Level 2 was basic knowledge in which any old punter could learn. Most likely why there's so many 'plumbers' out there now, the majority of companies ask at least for a Level 2 nowadays but I have seen an increase in asking for Level 3. Probably an attempt to dimmer down the applications and increase the skill set.

A Level 3 to install a tap/shower valves?! That's ludicrous!

A friend of mine recently finished his Level 1 entry qualification into plumbing where that was on the syllabus, that's mad!

it depends on you really. what you want to do in the future and how you learn. Level 3 im my day taught you about the design of things more so than the installation. If you install anything its good to know its going to work because you have done the math than fit it and hope it works so to speak.

some people dont do well in the classroom but pick things up with practice. Personally i think most young apprentices would be better off doing the college stuff after a few years in the trade.

i have equivelant to nvq 2&1/2

i did the '3' theory wich was all about designing soil and systems, business knowledge pricing and oil but left out the on the job evidence as i was sacked by my uncle. however, as said its all about what you can and already know really.
i think doing your gas and working for yourself is more advanced and probably equiv to level 4?
you can also do level5 but do you really need them???

I can't agree more AWHeating (apologies, I don't know your name!)
I've been in the trade for around 4/5 years now, since I was 16 doing bits and bobs for free, I can't tell you how many students I've seen on the non apprenticeship courses struggling with work, especially with the new units they want students to pass without any practical experience, the colleges should encourage experience over post GCSE qualifications to save students being under the impression it's easy sailing but it's far from in reality!

ydemanyv.jpg

crock of shyt really, but if all manufacturers follow suit, l3 will become a necessity.

I did level 3 and im glad i did due to covering design aspects and covering units in more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NVQ Level 3 qualification, is it worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock