Search the forum,

Discuss Novice seeking advice - white deposits in header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Ive been a long time reader of this forum - now a first time poster! Of coarse the motivation is a result of a problem.

Ive recently moved home and regrettably i didnt fork out for a plumber to survey the heating system and now Im faced with dealing with a few problems. The first in the list is related to the 3-port valve. Having replaced the top part and finding the valve is still allowing hot water through to the radiators I assume now i must replace the valve itself. The over-ride lever is still a bit floppy to begin with when the system is off.

I must add at this point that I am just a DIY dabbler with limited plumbing experience. The second issue (which is my main concern) is draining the system. Having looked inside the header tank there is a thick layer of white deposits at the bottom of the tank. Looks like limescale. There's loads of it - all crushed up and im concerned it might get sucked up when draining.

Any advice on how to remove it - safely?

Header tank. Tie up ball cock or isolate water supply by other means. Plug outlet to stop scale entering pipework. Bale out header tank into bucket, mop up remnants with sponge and remove deposits.

You saved money by not forking out for a plumber to survey the plumbing, so why not just spend the money now on a heating engineer to fix all the wee niggles and have it all as good as it can be? A good heating engineer would be much quicker and might spot other potential faults.
The broken limescale in bottom of tank could be due to the tank being empty of water at some period in the past.

Has small tank got a cover on it ? don't think its scale, possible dirt from roof, or remains of anti scale bag that some people place in tanks, are you in a hard water area ? scale build up would show on end of ball valve even cause it to jam up

Has small tank got a cover on it ? don't think its scale, possible dirt from roof, or remains of anti scale bag that some people place in tanks, are you in a hard water area ? scale build up would show on end of ball valve even cause it to jam up

Hi yes I live in a hard water area. It also crossed my mind that it could be an anti-scale product but shouldn't it be contained in a netted bag or similar?

Both of the tanks are covered with what looks like an insulated black bag. The smaller tank doesn't contain the same white substance. Instead a thin layer of possibly dirt/dust. Perhaps i'll take a photo and send.

thanks again

Hi yes I live in a hard water area. It also crossed my mind that it could be an anti-scale product but shouldn't it be contained in a netted bag or similar?

Both of the tanks are covered with what looks like an insulated black bag. The smaller tank doesn't contain the same white substance. Instead a thin layer of possibly dirt/dust. Perhaps i'll take a photo and send.

thanks again

Think your getting tanks mixed up very small tank is the header or F&E (Feed & Expansion) for heating system, The other larger one is the cold water storage tank (Domestic water supply) hot water cylinder & maybe cold to Bath & WC. Basin should be on mains cold

Im back with a few photos:

IMG_2214_zpsll2pq1fb.jpg
IMG_2230_zpsdzrgmwuj.jpg
IMG_2215_zpsvylvvsoz.jpg
IMG_2216_zpsdkmgbop2.jpg
IMG_2217_zpsbfhgflan.jpg

Well it does look kike scale just drain out tank and clean it out shouldn't go down pipes as its below level of outlet, but it could be remains of anti scale bag. maybe take some into local chemist and ask

Have you got the right tank?
Having limescale in your F&E tank sounds strange.

If you are genuinely worried and want the system given a once over ,
call in an old pro-plumber with some experience of old systems !

They will know how much cleaning/draining is needed , and when not to touch ,
"Disaster Area" (a rock band !)

Limescale. I had this in the cold water storage tanks of a flat that I bought some years ago. I seem to remember that I took about three buckets full of the stuff out of the (plastic) tank. I turned off the water (plugged all outlets) and scraped the stuff up before giving the tank a good clean up.

I then installed a water softener. Job done [emoji106]

thanks all for the advice. this looks like a job i can handle!

ps i cant fight the urge to tinker - im an electronics engineer by profession and im fascinated by how things work - i guess its in my DNA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Novice seeking advice - white deposits in header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock